My Schwinn P13 Track Bike circa 1964

Earl J

Retro Newbie
Hello,

This post is a request from “Show me your Ibis” and MattiThundrrr.
I didn’t see a section for Track Bikes ( maybe I didn’t look well enough).
Anyway, here’s one of my track bikes; According to Richard Schwinn my bike serial # W21 is a Watson built P13 from 1964. I had a long conversation with him.
Nervex lugged Reynolds 531, assembled with a Campagnolo pista group 151mm chain ring. Cinelli steel bar and track stem. Wheels are newer C Record 32 hole high flange track hubs aka Sheriff star hubs with Campagnolo “Tokyo” clincher rims radial laced front, 3X rear and Vredestein Piste gum clincher tires.

I’ve had this frame since the late 80’s. I built it when I was racing Masters road and trained on the velodrome in San Jose Ca. Heller Park. Not knowing the rarity of this bike (according to Richard Schwinn) I drilled the fork so I could run a single brake. I had a rare first year (196:cool: generation Campagnolo no-name Record caliper stray I mounted and too a thrashed lightened Campy brake lever and cut it down and mounted it next to the stem with no hood. A Very SF Bike Messenger move.

Riding it on the street, I need a brake. Grabbing to front wheel with my hand doesn’t work for me to slow down or stop.
Anyway here it is.

MattiThunder, I’m in the 1000 islands of NY off the St Lawrence in Clayton. Not too far from you. Are you off the 401?

Cheers,
~Earl J

IMG_0609.jpeg

IMG_0610.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

MattiThunder, I’m in the 1000 islands of NY off the St Lawrence in Clayton. Not too far from you. Are you off the 401?
Haha I've boated among, and flown in a helicopter over the 1000 Islands at Gananoque. I'm just down the river from you. 401 runs right through Cornwall, my town.
The Panasonic Schwinn is even better than I imagined, the lugs are fantastic. Thanks for sharing it.

We were just in Gananoque last weekend. An excellent restaurant Riva and a very good wine list. If you have access to Flickr you can see a number of my bikes under: earl_castillo
Amongst other interests of mine.

Earl

Back