My GT I-Drive Team

TonyR

Retro Newbie
First time post - so be gentle please!

Below are some (very slightly blurred!) photos of my GT I-Drive Team that I have owned from new (I bought it from Chain Reaction in 2002 who were selling them after GT went bust).

I had the brakes upgraded to Hope disks, with Hope hubs as part of my purchase. Unfortunately they didn’t provide me with the original V brakes or Shimano hubs.

I have changed the flat handlebars for riser bars which required a different stem. I still have the original magnesium stem and carbon flat bars.

We moved house in 2015 to a much flatter area than where we had previously lived, consequently the bike isn’t getting used so I am weighing up whether to hang on to it or try selling it.

My main concern is whether there is any demand for such a bike.

All input would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tony

IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0163.jpeg

Not much of a help, but a guy local to me is selling a GT i-drive 2 from the same year at £220 and has had zero interest. His doesn't look as nice as your one though.

I really like that 😊
The better i-Drive models like this (XCR 1000 / team / i drive 1) used Easton tubing, the swing arm was different too with a small stub for the front mech and the internal headset, the part that goes to the seat tube is different too, a lighter, thinner pressed alu rather than a thicker flat piece. XCR2000 / i-Drive 2 and up (down) are a cheaper build frame.
Edit: typo.

That's a nice looking bike with a very nice spec. Easier to sell complete but it would have to be keenly priced. As above, not sure how much live there is for i-drives despite them being a good bike from what I've read.

You'd arguably get more if you split it, but that's hassle, and it's a lovely build.

That said, yours looks in great shape and I'm sure the team version and spec, despite upgrades would command an audience. I'd love the thermoplastic version, but this is very nice too.

Welcome Tony.

FYI there is a specific thread for these kind of post, but we'll cut you a break since you are new. :)

Full bike is going to be a hard sell. Most on here like to buy parts and build to their own specific taste. It's a very nice bike, but needs nothing done and that's all part of the fun.
Good spec of parts though that would easily sell separately if you wanted to split it up. XTR and Hope brakes always go well. Could take a while but would yield much more money. In fact, the only thing that might struggle (apart from saddle and stem) is the frame itself, but you could always hang it int he garage as wall art.

Any questions on price, then please post in the xyz thread or the mods will lock this thread. Also, if you do decide to place a for sale post, be aware that all ads need a price, "make me an offer" is not allowed.

Welcome Tony.

FYI there is a specific thread for these kind of post, but we'll cut you a break since you are new. :)

Full bike is going to be a hard sell. Most on here like to buy parts and build to their own specific taste. It's a very nice bike, but needs nothing done and that's all part of the fun.
Good spec of parts though that would easily sell separately if you wanted to split it up. XTR and Hope brakes always go well. Could take a while but would yield much more money. In fact, the only thing that might struggle (apart from saddle and stem) is the frame itself, but you could always hang it int he garage as wall art.

Any questions on price, then please post in the xyz thread or the mods will lock this thread. Also, if you do decide to place a for sale post, be aware that all ads need a price, "make me an offer" is not allowed.
@clubby thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of the other thread - I wasn’t aware of it and for the info about sales posts requiring a price. 👍🏻👍🏻

Back