My first Pro-Flex, ever.

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
I’ve never owned a ProFlex. Never even ridden one. I remember seeing them around back in the day – one of the local bikes shops in SW London used to sell them – so when this 1997 757 came up for sale it caught my attention.

It's mostly original but for the riser bar, chainset and pedals (and possibly the rear mech).

Happy.

Attachments

• $_20 1.35.22 pm.JPG
    $_20 1.35.22 pm.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,081
Re:

Nice find. Proflex doesn't seem to get a lot of love here. I remember being very interested in them in the early days - back when Bob Roll raced for them. I liked their fork design - it was simple and solved the flex issues found on early generation rock shocks. I've seen a couple locally - they sell dirt cheap here.

Enjoy the bike.

I had an 856 when they first came out. Beautifully made bikes, very light for a full sus and very strong. I used mine for dh for years with a rst fork giving me a whopping 3.5 inches of travel front and back, never had any issues at all. The girvin forks action could be changed from straight up down like normal forks, or back then up, which took out the harshness of sharp edges if i remember correctly.

Would like to own another one day :)

Mark

Re:

Thanks for the comments guys. :D

Quick update: So far I've given it a good clean and a going over with a paint restorer.

The riser bar has ben replaced with a flat bar I had - it'll do the job until I can find a Titec Enduro - and I found the Girvin bar ends up the coast. Those honeycomb pattern grips have been replaced too, with a nos pair.

The tired old (original) Panaracer Duster blackwalls have been replaced with a nos pair of Duster amberwalls (which I prefer the look of). At least they're not green Wildgrippers! ;)

I still need to replace the chainset with an XT M569 5 arm, and swap out a few rusty bolts here and there.

Oh, and maybe I'll replace the saddle for the same in better condition at some time?

Attachments

• ProFlex 01 copy.JPG
    ProFlex 01 copy.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 721
Back