Mudguards fitted

The ends of the stays are clamped between the nut/QR and the outer face of the drop out?
That's the two nice, flat, grippy surfaces that hold your front wheel in, by using a known torque and endload.
That now have a piece of badly bent, moderately soft, mild steel rod between them.

FFS. I'd just get some decent ones.

Can't believe they are even allowed to sell stuff like that.

mattr":1genelpr said:

This is the standard fitting of mudguards for a lot of low end urban bikes. That said, they don't use QR hubs but hubs fastened with bolts. I never had one loosening due to the mudguards. For work I use one of those bikes so it gets intensive use.

mattr":36ek1dao said:
The ends of the stays are clamped between the nut/QR and the outer face of the drop out?
That's the two nice, flat, grippy surfaces that hold your front wheel in, by using a known torque and endload.
That now have a piece of badly bent, moderately soft, mild steel rod between them.

I've got a similar set of guards (Spencer IIRC) which are plastic with a one-piece stay. Judicious bending of the stays (they're only galvanised mild steel rod so fairly soft) aligns them sensibly with the wheels without any need to put the stay ends over the wheel spindles.

David

mattr":21jiitk6 said:

I suppose to some, a buget is not important. I am not on a massive income and have to watch every penny as I am on long term sick from work (I am still employed but not got an income coming in and would love to go back to work as the position is still mine).

These are good steel chrome mudguards with, I would say, cheap stays.
I chose them because of the cost and practicality, not because of the fitting, make or style. Winter is coming and to go out on a bike in wet roads is not for me. I already suffer with my back and legs and dont want them to get worse riding in wet / muddy clothes. I am not a teenager any more, where I used to tear up and down the streets with no mudguards or lights, not giving a damn about my health and safety.

I cant believe the price of some mudguards on the internet or in shops. After all, they are only a narrow piece of either steel or plastic (mainly) with fittings to fit to a bike. They dont even have the styling or carachteristics of the vintage full ones from the 50's - 70's.

Whats budget got to do with it?
It's just poor design, you could probably have got ones that mount properly for the same/similar money.

Or you could just modify these ones to fit onto the mudguard eyes.

Buget had everything to do with it. These were the cheapest I have seen at and with free postage. It is only the design of the stays that are different.
If I wanted, I could buy some stays to fit the eyes on the frame, but they are secure on the wheel axles. The wheel nuts have flattened the stays a bit and the wheels are secure. At least there will be no water being flicked up. I am thinking of getting some narrower ones after christmas as these are 55mm wide and I could do with some that are 35mm wide. I was going to put them on my mountain bike but I think they will look daft as they are for 700c wheels and my mtb has 26" wheels.

I could modify these stays but I think they are thicker than normal stays. Making the eyelets for smaller screws would be a bit hard without the right bending tools. I dont have a welder to weld a washer on or something like that for smaller screws.

ian.allen2":dt6sjyac said:

I had one of those, years ago (it was old and unfashionable even then!)

Looks like yours has been rid of the lethal steel rims though? The bike was really just a touch too big for me but it was the first semi-proper road bike I ever had and I was fond of it.

I have seen a few lately. Must be coming popular now. lol. Yours looks good. When did you own yours. Was it new when you got it.

ian.allen2":32bisj73 said:
I have seen a few lately. Must be coming popular now. lol. Yours looks good. When did you own yours. Was it new when you got it.

Nah, it was second or third hand even then! It was my main bike around 93/94 - sadly I don't have it at all any more, brother went off to the scrappy with it a year or two ago along with a pile of other stuff "tidied" from the sheds at my parents' house :(

Having said that, my wife got me a "modern" replacement for my birthday not long after - Genesis Aether 10, very similar styling in black and white but an awful lot lighter and faster! I still miss the friction-only downtube shifters though, it's not a proper road bike without those as far as I'm concerned...

Back