mtb wheel spoking - Issue resolved.

blacktights

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I aquired a rear mtb wheel from car boot sale. It's made by DMR, with hub and spokes.

The spokes are all loose, and I mean, 'loose' .The seller told me he had obtained it in a job lot and was selling it as seen.

I paid £3.00 for it

I am looking for anybody in the leeds area who can straighten and spoke wheels etc.

Am also still on the lookout for some rigid forks, alternatively rigid forks and frame, lightweight if possible. Details available on other posts, threads etc.

Attachments

• DSCF0620.JPG
    DSCF0620.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 647
wheel trueing

hi fella im a local to your area. take it to drake's cycles on harehills lane leeds 8 or 9. a family run well established setup. they true-up all my wheels. they have all the contraptions for it and are quick, cheap! a basic put-back-in-line will set you back around £8. they will advise you at the time if there's any defects that will cause the rim to be not totally straight again. ive no link or address detail but leeds directory of some sort will have it, they are on-line too! drakescycles.

hope this helps.

marc.

Wow are Drakes still going? I got a Raleigh mustang from them in 1991 ish.

I used to live near Roundhay park and they were the most local bike shop, used them until I started getting higher end bikes, switching to Chevin cycles in Otley or Stiff in Headingly. Looking at the site they seem to have moved up market in the stocked range.

Harehills will be LS8 btw.

Thats a point.

I will give them a try, or a ring, monday, see what it entails etc. Only thing there is I remember somebody telling me not so long ago that they had stopped the wheel 'truing' and that only place reasonably local was on kirkstall rd, but yes, got to worth a try, thanks for that, all the best.

wheel trueing

aye drake's still build/true wheels! as recent as a fortnight ago they did one for me, i laced it, they trued it. now stocking orange too! 91 bus will go past it and any roundhay road bus bound for gledhow/roundhay will go as near as damn it.
give em' a ring ask for john(mr drake) or graham.

Superb

That's superb news, thanks very much for that, I don't actually mind a walk, so will probably give them a ring first , explain the situation regarding the wheel and then take a walk up harehills lane, I am only down east end park, so not really too far, through the streets etc, cheers for that, much appreciated, ed

if you have no luck at drakes take it dave rayner at garforth

stiff has now moved to harrogate

Will try that

Chees for that, thanks. I was wondering, how difficult was it to actually lace up the wheels. This DMR rim is perfect, never been on a bike, but the hub is not for me, looks unused,but looks like it was orginally red, but has been sprayed black. I was thinking of buying a new hub from somewhere like chain reaction, with appropriate spokes and maybe trying to lace it up myself, what do you reckon. Cheers, ed.

wheel trueing

hi sorry fella just had me tea :LOL:

the wheel they did for me was a rim swap. my rim was deemed as not true-able so i robbed another rim from another wheel. luckily the spoke length and quantity of spokes was identical so i got busy.....once i had the parts together i used another complete wheel to follow the spoke pattern.took me ages(and a few mistakes) but got there in the end!! by the time all spokes are in(nipples only 50% tight) the wheel is nearly straight, believe it or not. but needs the trueing jig to sort/ trust it.

apart from that, thats the only interaction with wheel building ive had.like for like swap. as for determining the right spoke for your given hub and rim is something im 'unqualified' to quote.get to drakes, those blokes will sort you out.

oh.i cut through E.E.P most days! i will gladly 'courier' your stuff free of charge.pm me if you need help on that. ;)

marc.

Latest posts

Back