MTB Based Slick Tyred couriers

I still have my original! I bought an Edinburgh Contour 100 around 94/95 and slicked it up immediately with Nokian City Slickers (think there may have been some kinda deal with Tioga) I added a blackburn mtn rack and a crudcatcher as well as some respro cow print reflectives :D Served me as my commuter for many a year and is now the bike permanently fixed to the turbo.

hamster":2nilchkq said:
The only things that make my road bike or 26" wheeled tourer slip in the wet are metal drain covers and painted lines.

I find it can be a bit slippery the first 20 minutes or so after it starts raining from the oil and coolant sitting in the recesses in the asphalt rising to the top of the water. It runs off after a bit and grip comes back.

My Trek 850 is still wearing Avocet Cross tyres with inverted treads, that I fitted years ago, got them in a new year sale at an LBS.
I think they're now the Cross II, the tread pattern looks similar.
Somebody mentioned the Onza Octopus which rings a bell with me, so does anybody remember the Mongrel, who made those?

not the best fotay unfortunately.............

bianchi061.jpg

:)

I just got me some Schwalbe city jets for my Muddyfox, never ridden a mountain bike with road tyres, must say I am quite looking forward to it.

TimmyMTB":1m54e7e6 said:
I just got me some Schwalbe city jets for my Muddyfox, never ridden a mountain bike with road tyres, must say I am quite looking forward to it.

Great fun,you just zip along :D
Need to get the tyres as hard as they will allow :? ,anything up to 80psi

I did, and I have the pics to prove it.
After moving to a dual suspension bike, I converted my m2 Stumpjumper into a "courier" bike, but took it even further with a Nexus internal geared hub and coaster brake. Unheard of for 1997, but it worked well, except for the rear of the bike being way heavier than the front. Most people thought I butchered a perfectly good mountain bike, but I liked to dabble at the time...let me find a scanned photo- no digi cam at the time.

Here we go:
8bd8bacc.jpg

Don't have an upclose of the coaster, but you can see it has no other brakes, and those green tryes were plenty slick. :twisted:

Close but no prize, slick though those green tyres felt they're not slick, more hardpack knobblies. We're talking slick, near or totally treadless style tyres. Schwalbe Kojaks sum up the idea in name and actuality perfectly ;)

Back