MTB Based Slick Tyred couriers

Slicks on MTB - it'll never work... :D

My '96 AA is currently my "town" bike

Attachments

• IMG_8273_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8273_edited-1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 967
If you live somewhere where the council maintain the roads to extreme smoothness and it rains alot then a total slick tyre may be a bad idea. A tyre with a minimal water displacement tread though will help. A 1.5" wide tyre is a good start point for comfort v performance.
You'll not be in anymore danger of losing traction than a roady in any conditions but the mtb may encourage a more hooligan approach to corners with a banked right over style which can lead to lifting off the tarmac :LOL:
If roadies are the sports cars of cycling then slicked up mtb's are the hot hatches :LOL:

I'm in the middle of a build based on a '93 Cannondale Delta V with Headshok.

I was in my mates street when one of his neighbours was putting it into the back of his car. I casually asked where he was going and he said 'To the tip'.

He didn't go to the tip, and I had a new project.

As I really can't justify adding another bike I'm gonna eBay it as soon as its finished.

I decided to do a courier / commuter build similar to a Badboy and it is just waiting for paint at the minute.

I used to fit Spesh Fatboys to my Orange Prestige for the Wednesday night time-trial during the summer; like F1 tyres in the dry, and like riding on ice after a brief summer shower :LOL:
so the Fatboys are still available? hmm... might look into getting some more...

There was a set of totally slick in 1.95 might have been from around '95 or '96.LBS mechanic had a pair :? i cant remember the make.
Amazingly cool looking.I must quiz him again on what they were,i'd surely love a pair :D

1.5 Bontrager Road Warrior full slicks.

IMG_0294.jpg

I've been running 1.25 fatboys and find them fine in the wet - not noticeably worse than than slick 28mm conti's on my Kaffenback, and better than previous tyres with some tread. Unless Onza re-issue their Octopus tyre, nothing grips to a wet drain cover.

Currently running the Timberline on 1.95 Schwalbe City Jets... They have a little tread for water displacement and are proving great for bombing around the country roads near Rainford/Crank and over by Southport.

I'll be using them on the Manchester to Blackpool (albeit on modern bike) on July 10th.

Back