Mounting an Answer SX 97 crown on a Manitou Three

Hi There,

has anyone tried replacing a Manitou Three crown with a SX 97 crown - they look fairly similar on pictures.

Thanks a lot!

Re:

The 97 sx didnt have a removable crown. Manitou 2-4 crowns can be found here without too much difficulty if you need a new one

Re:

What about the Mach 5 and Pro C versions??

Quite sure they had a removable crown. Not sure there are any leftover given the rate I snapped them at. It's a wonder Manitou didn't get sued beyond recovery. Bloody awful so proceed at own risk.

Jeffro

Mach 5 are... i think... but after than, no they were press fit... but why? Surely it's just as east to get m3/4/efc crowns...

Will not work. The spacing between the stanchions has changed in the transition from Manitou 4 to Manitou Mach 5. The older Manitou forks (M1-M4) had a wider spacing than the newer Mach 5 and onward. I tried but they're not compatible. It seems to be quite difficult to source a Manitou 3 or 4 crown and alloy steerer in 1 1/4 with a decent length. Plenty of threaded steel steerer ones about though.

Re:

Exactly right - the crown is actually removable, the stanchions have the same diameter, BUT the spacing between them is much wider on the old Manitou 3...see picture attached.

Thanks all for the comments.
Ernst

Attachments

• IMG_3408.jpg
    IMG_3408.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 398
Back