Mountain Klein - Remember this one?

StanleyButterfly":1zwhg2f6 said:
OH NO!!!! :( Those American stems are hard to come by. Now it's just a plain generic one!

Interesting! I've hit a landmine of controversy

It looks anything but generic

I have modified it but it is still what it is... The frame has smoothed welds what is wrong with the stem having smoothed welds? It's gonna live out its days on this bike

It is your stem to do what you want with----but the 'thing' that people like about American stems and frames are their trademark fat alu welds. You went and removed what makes it an American. It's like ...um, stripping the paint from a Klein ;)

Still looks quite good to me, personally.

......nothing wrong in my book fella, its still the same stem, only you added a touch of your cool, paint it/dont paint it, just put the decal on it....and you will be good. :cool:

Looks great - top work on the stem - lots of skill there (& patience!)

If it were mine I'd go for a bold single colour Red or Blue - bit like that nice red one, maybe get the forks chromed too?

Thanks guys!

I must admit when I first got here on RB I was quite surprised by the willingness of guys to make drastic changes, removing / relocating bosses, slotting things, drilling, refinishing and such like

But it makes sense we're expressing our aesthetic desires or our engineering choices and it makes the builds interesting rather than everyone doing the same thing - I won't waffle on too much....

crconsulting":2ur80bzq said:
Poor stem :(

I was thinking the same thing.

Poor American stem gets shipped off somewhere to somebody who doesn't understand the beauty in an American stem IS the welds. Does the end result look good?...I guess so, sure. Should it have happened to an American? Hell no. :cry:

"Fettled", as a word, has taken on a new meaning. :shock:

Maybe I should have canvassed some opinion before doing it but it felt right and it looks harmonious with the frame...

I did consider getting an MC1 but I want to use risers

Here's something I did previously, on another build

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

Just Making choices, it's the type of thing I do. I wonder what's the analogy for this stem incident?

It's a stem that I have shaved the welds on... Help me understand my crime

Latest posts

Back