Mountain Cycle experts

Carlos

Old School Hero
I have a bit of a love of Mountain Cycles, and I know a few here do too. After keeping an eye out for a MOHO for a while, this one pops up on ebay USA.
I am interested in it anyway but a few things don't add up. See if you agree with me!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0774645935
Now apparently it's prototype number one - spot the discrepancies...

A proto would have been 1992-1994? This frame has IS disc mounts! I'm pretty sure that IS didn't exist back then.
It also has a triple clamp fork bump stop. I've never seen a MOHO with one of these but I think the San came with the option to bolt them on later it's life.
Just checked the manual in the archive - it was an option on the San DHS from 1996 and all models from 1999.
The serial number wouldn't be that long for a proto? And for number one, surely it would include a lot of zeros and a one! I think all the serial numbers were etched anyway, I know my first MOHO was, were any stamped?

Anyway, I'm being geeky!
This frame isn't a normal MOHO, but any guesses as to it's origins? I reckon maybe a proto for the updated 2000/2001 model? A lot of the finishing touches to the frame just look like a bodge! The bolt on cable guides, mech hanger, not a great looking weld at the back end of the top of the monocoque, and no idea what that 'patch' is on the non drive side!

I need information!...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
that said if your buying it for the provenance ,maybe forget it
but for 200 bucks its not not bad on its own

zigzag has a csx or whatever full susser and its a nice bike

are mountian cycle still going ?

i would love a san an tho

They are in about their 25th incarnation now! OK, maybe 4th or 5th. Releasing a new San An about now. Not a lot like the old one, but you can see the heritage in it. Just.
Yep, they are 'still' going...if you can overlook the fact that it's been owned by plenty of different people and had more fresh starts than bike models!

I doubt I'll be buying it anyway - someone will buy it for it's 'provenance' for probably a pretty high price. And hopefully be blissfully ignorant as opposed to disappointed when they get it.

i'm no expert but the whole rear end looks to have been replaced at some time in it's life to me :? also it has a dodgy weld or even a repair on the top left of the top stay at the cnc'd bit . that would explain the i.s. mount ?

and the bump stop looks well out of place so proberly had that and the steerer added too ?

i may be well off by saying all of that but thought i'd share my 2p's worth :cool:

Yep, I'd have to say that's a strong possibility. Rubbish :(
I wonder whether MC used it as a long term tester, adding bits on to test out when they were thinking of changing something.
I emailed the seller yesterday querying the few bits and asking how he came about it - no reply.

If the factory had them tested by testers and never actually sold them and they were all returned bar this one.
Would that make it stolen property?.

Back