Mountain bikes on slicks thread ??

Re:

My Kona Fire Mountain - retrobike on slicks, well tan wall Speccy Nimbus anyway. Retro before it was retro (picture is from 1993).

And my Kona AA

Attachments

• 1993_09_0035_edited-1.jpg
    1993_09_0035_edited-1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_8273_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8273_edited-1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,012
Re:

Gone but not forgotten....

Attachments

• 1998_Orange_Clockwork.JPG
    1998_Orange_Clockwork.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 1,001
Re:

Version 4 of my daily commute. This will be the last Kona MTB framed commuter I'll use - when it fails (and it will, all previous versions - 3 Cinder Cone's) I'll invest in a <spit> modern road bike. The Kapu has been a great reserve when the other bikes have been in for a service or awaiting other parts and it's much, much quicker than these bastardised hybrids.

Anyway, it's as rapid as you can get (IMO) without using a road bike.

kQw9HO.jpg

W2vFNR.jpg

I've been using RC31's for 2 years now and they are a very worthy alternative to P2's - even lighter in fact.

Re:

I've already posted a pic of him on here once, but hey, I've changed....something...can't remember what so it's another good excuse to post again.... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 1st ride of the season 010.JPG
    1st ride of the season 010.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 978
Re:

This is one of my favourite mtb's with slicks around. The great photography obviously helps...

http://www.cycleexif.com/f-moser-motard

There are many articles now debating that thicker slicks are not necessarily slower than the usual ultra-thin, but are definitely much more comfortable. No idea, but I love Schwalbe Big Apples, or even the recent Big Bens, that keep the mtb look of the bike while being fast on tarmac and come with puncture protection! (not the lightest tires though)

Re: Re:

Titiritero":24oqsc7r said:
This is one of my favourite mtb's with slicks around. The great photography obviously helps...

http://www.cycleexif.com/f-moser-motard

There are many articles now debating that thicker slicks are not necessarily slower than the usual ultra-thin, but are definitely much more comfortable. No idea, but I love Schwalbe Big Apples, or even the recent Big Bens, that keep the mtb look of the bike while being fast on tarmac and come with puncture protection! (not the lightest tires though)

I can say they are slower to accelerate than skinny tyres. Once you get them rolling they are fine.
On the plus side, you don't need to worry about hitting a pothole at speed and wrecking wheels. I actually didn't
like the Schwalbe Big Apples that much in the end; a bit slow off the lights, out of corners, weaving in traffic etc.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":u70klc6h said:
Woz":u70klc6h said:
Gone but not forgotten....

shame – that is a very classy stripped down SS Clockwork – nice.

I kind of regret passing it on - it was a good fit and handled really nice. I still see it doing the rounds in town
from time to time which makes me happy. Here is the old thread because it was pretty much rescued from
going to the tip: viewtopic.php?t=156600

Back