MOTOR CHAT

I had a Dnepr in Oz once. I used to go trail riding on it.

By the time I had replaced the forks, brakes, carbs, handlebars, controls, lights and rear suspension units with stuff off Japanese bikes or BMWs it was rideable and handled well.

Was great for making large holes in dirt roads - just open up in first gear with the front brake on and in no time you'd have a hole deep enough to park in (I suppose a sidestand would have done the same job :) ).

The Ken":stgmeiiz said:
c.jpg

That is just amazing, and as you say wont depreciate, think of the fun you could have in rush hour (or at any time really) with a sidecar mounted machine gun :LOL: (dressed in full military kit of course)

Got the Lotus MOT'd yesterday, kind of expected it to fail (was worried about the emissions with those big Dellorto's) was just a case of how serious.

Failed on front anti-roll bar bushes (knew these were bad), bad earth on a couple of lights and a blow from the exhaust and that's it, not a bad result :)

Got the Anti-roll bar off today, new polly bush kit ordered, exhaust leak was from the centre silencer (new stainless steel exhaust just badly fitted) so was easier to take the whole lot off, will re-fit with new clamps and mounts etc, and of course paste on the joints (it had been assembled dry).

Drove fantastic yesterday to the MOT garage though, sound glorious and is surprisingly quick, also got quite a bit of attention on the road :)

Always fancied a sidecar, you turn left by slowing then accelerating as you turn to overtake the side car. To turn right you brake as you turn to let the sidecar overtake you. Thats the theory but it needs a bit of practice.
Reality and finance will probably knock this idea on its head but its nice to dream.
I did have an MZ 250 in the past, loved that bike but some wee scrotes nicked it one night and torched it on the wasteground on the edge of town :(

Re:

The old 205 needs a bit of work done, haven't decided if I'm going to fix her up or sell her on yet, but in the meantime I thought an upgrade to something newer (just) and bigger (just) was in order. £200 bought me this tonight.

jimihendrix":2l1y2q3h said:
Got the Lotus MOT'd yesterday, kind of expected it to fail (was worried about the emissions with those big Dellorto's) was just a case of how serious.

Failed on front anti-roll bar bushes (knew these were bad), bad earth on a couple of lights and a blow from the exhaust and that's it, not a bad result :)

Got the Anti-roll bar off today, new polly bush kit ordered, exhaust leak was from the centre silencer (new stainless steel exhaust just badly fitted) so was easier to take the whole lot off, will re-fit with new clamps and mounts etc, and of course paste on the joints (it had been assembled dry).

Drove fantastic yesterday to the MOT garage though, sound glorious and is surprisingly quick, also got quite a bit of attention on the road :)

Delighted for you! I have been back trawling the net for some of the cars I lusted after as well as one or two I had too briefly. Bleedin' prices have shot up again! Fancy another Maserati Merak, this time to keep! Just don't know if I will enjoy driving it so much though, more something to work on and have sitting in the shed under a blanket.

highlandsflyer":36o44ow7 said:
Fancy another Maserati Merak, this time to keep! Just don't know if I will enjoy driving it so much though, more something to work on and have sitting in the shed under a blanket.

Nice, what does a decent Merak go for these days ? 20K ?

Take it you've seen the Top Gear Supercar Challenge ? :roll: , entertaining and daft, painfull to watch in equal measures (who in the real world would buy a 70's supercar then drive it long distance and blat it round a race track without at least getting it checked over ? :roll: )

The Jay Leno 75 Khamsin clip is worth watching though (on Youtube), glorious machine :cool:

Nice 309 Rumble :cool: , looks a great buy for the money.

Re:

When I have the money I will look. I hate being broken hearted for no reason, but I reckon a little more than that and you could pick up a really nice one needing fettling.

Noticing a few 205 GTis lately, must be the weather!

Re:

Nice Rumble! The seat cover should go quite nicely with the beard :) .

Good stuff Mark, this months Practical Classics features an Elite, probably worth a peruse rather than purchase though, its an article on wedged shaped cars.

Speaking of which I just happened to pick it up for a browse, getting a wee bit bored of the modern car and was thinking of getting something with a bit more character my only problem is not having the time to be fixing them up.

Any suggestions for a bombproof classic?

Morris Minor, I know a bit dullsville but practical with great spares backup, new body panels for example are still made in India. Seen a imaculate cabriolet version just yesterday, very nice. Plus if you go custom you can hide any engine you like under that cavernous bonnet !

Back