MOTOR CHAT

Sad day today, had to scrap my old BMW 728i :( , mistake i made was impulse buying the 750iL on the strength of the 728i passing an MOT (it had failed on emissions), plan was to get the 728i MOT'd and sell it getting back most of what i paid for the 750iL, was sure it was the Lambda's causing the fail, changed the Lambda's, bought the 750iL, then the 728i failed on the CAT, had to pass the death sentence as a new CAT is £240 (also found wear in the front TCA's the MOT tester had missed), i wasn't prepared to spend any more on the car and unfortunately it's worth more to me in parts than selling (without an MOT a car like this is very hard to sell for decent money)

Was still a superb car though, ran and drove great, felt a bit sorry seeing it getting forklifted in the scrappy :( (was down there thisafternoon salvaging all the new bits off it i fitted last year), hate scrapping or breaking a decent car but sometimes the Maths just doesn't add up, especially with a non (or even borderline) classic.

Here's a pic of the beast looking healthy only last year, hopefully now in the great Autobahn in the sky :cry:

a6gUWxJl.jpg

Ironic thing is i feel that i'm not quite bonding with the 750iL and may sell that :roll:

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to cars :facepalm:

That's a shame. I hate scrapping perfectly drivable cars, especially ones I've enjoyed owning.

Did you salvage the indicator switch from it when you were there? If my experience on the A406 North Circular this afternoon is anything to go by, they are a particular weak point on BMW's of this era, and presumably fetch quite a premium...

Sorry to hear that Mark. Always knew where you had parked at meets from the crowds of people trying to buy drugs from you. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your monster truck.
What you driving this weekend?

GSB":24wkm6ch said:
Did you salvage the indicator switch from it when you were there? If my experience on the A406 North Circular this afternoon is anything to go by, they are a particular weak point on BMW's of this era, and presumably fetch quite a premium...

Indicators ?, Ah, is that those strange flashing lights on the corners of other cars i've seen ?

My other car is a big 4x4, i'll try and use them on that if i can figure it out, last time i checked it was a plastic stick at the side of the steering wheel :)

Clubby, i'll be bringing the monster Disco on Sunday since the Beemer would cost about £175 in fuel, hopefully there will be some scrap cars to drive over if i dont fancy riding the bike :)

I once snapped the (teutonic alloy) indicator stalk on the Phoenix VW Camper many years ago due to over zealous indicating.

(TRUE)

Tricky business indicating as blinkers are never to be trusted.

Snapped a Honda camchain on the North Circ nearly 30 years ago one February. That was a pain. Crap road. Even without the driving sleet and long wait for recovery truck. :| :|

The Ken":1kf3c2h7 said:
Jawny":1kf3c2h7 said:
Got my eye on a Alfa Romeo 147. A lot o car for 2 grand. I've driven some very nice cars over the years but been using a Transit for business. Damn I miss my wee golf r32

I've got an Alfa 147 2.0 t-spark, I love it other that the fuel and repair bills, I've been playing timing belt roulette for almost a year :) sadly having to sell it on now, 3 cars is too many.

I think I fell in love with Alfa at the moment... Impractical, service costs are scary but who cares?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 443
Radoslaw":3pmyu0zw said:
I think I fell in love with Alfa at the moment... Impractical, service costs are scary but who cares?

Ah, the Alfa Romeo Badonkadonk.

file.php

I always liked the Alfa Romeo Alfasud, from the earlier to the later cars.

images

alfa-romeo-alfasud_brown_0.jpg

Very similar to the VW Scirocco that I'd say was my favourite car, I've had 4 of them, my mate's had 3.

alfasud_12.jpg

Lovely car but I've heard horrific stories about Alfasuds. I have a soft spot on italian motoring. German cars are too good and for wise people :D

The Alfasud was a car I thought about buying but by the time it was old enough, therefore cheap enough for me, the majority, all?, of them were absolutely riddled with rust. The same age, less than 10yo, VWs had no rust at all. My mate gave his 1988 Scirocco to his nephew a couple of years ago, it had no rust that was other than cosmetic, never required nor had any welding.

Not only rust, mine all had the dash permanently in a state of repair, (i.e. 'hanging off'); electrics were interesting to say the least. Yet I could afford to run one as a student and later when on basic wage, I picked up an engine and gearbox for £20 in Moston in 1995, with next to no miles on it. Cheap as chips, and very bingo!

Back