MOTOR CHAT

Re:

Another question. I've noticed with classic cars a lot of kits for modernising the engine. Electronic ignition and more. Do bikes have the same upgrades available? The guy I'm getting the bike from had bother with the ignition, he changed it for a lucas set up but went through coils like mad. He also said keeping the carbs in tune was a constant battle. I'm hoping there are some modern solutions out there.

I had a MKIII Le Mans for many years and a 650 Lario for a couple.
They are pretty reliable but electrics and front suspension are the downfall. Joe Lucas isn't called the Prince of Darkness for nothing so I would steer clear but Piranha still do an electronic ignition unit complete for relatively little expense and while they will only last a couple of years before burning out at the most inopportune moment they are cheap enough to be consumables. The carbs once cleaned and setup properly shouldn't need much if any maintenance at all. Set of K&N pods on each and tune up should see it right.
I remember when I serviced my first Guzzi back when I was about 20 or so and I somehow set both cyclinders up off the same flywheel mark. Not deliberately mind you. When I went to start it, it virtually walked sideway across my garage :) One hell of a scary noise, that sort of 'Oh sh**t what have I done to my pride and joy' . Anders from La Guzzi up the road came and picked it up on the trailer and sorted it. He never let me live it down.
Just remember they are only bits of steel, made by man and can be fixed by a man, if not, then throw it away and a man will make you another one. Its never the end of the world, no matter how attached you get to it.

Jamie

Re:

Any idea on the genealogy of old guzzis? For instance is the frame more or less the same frame through the range and years. Is the engine a standard unit?

Suspension seems to be an easy upgrade. Even swapping out the forks for something a bit better.

Bloody Guzzis. Overweight BMWs with an erection.

The electrics were actually a cunning safety device to stop the owners using them.

But they were an honest brand. How many companies would label their bikes as Lemons.

Mumble, mumble, grumble, Guzzis, mumble...

(Actually I quite liked them :) )

Re:

There's a guy down here,in Ripon keeps putting bikes up for sale,
Talking Benelli and moto morino.
All brought back from the old country :D some real crackers
One was a 3 and a half strada with drums
The other was a Benelli copy of the Honda 500 4 cal sort of 75 vintage.
He had some others in the garage the other day but if they aren't
Rd two strokes they don't float my boat. Or cz :facepalm:

Re:

Klaus what year is the strada yer thinking of and even better any pics? Then we may form some useful opinions?

If it was cheap and 70s/80s I'd buy it. Any later and I probably wouldn't. But I'm like that. :D

One of the nicest bikes I saw was a black '76 Guzzi parked outside the pub in Chiddingstone in Kent. Bit of a roadster not a lemon, but jolly purittee .....may have a photie somehwre.

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":1i8acoyt said:
One of the nicest bikes I saw was a black '76 Guzzi parked outside the pub in Chiddingstone in Kent. Bit of a roadster not a lemon, but jolly purittee .....may have a photie somehwre.

Gotta be a 850T :?

Re:

Just last year I started looking on Ebay for a Jota then a 996 or 916 Duke :facepalm:
Since then I've probably blown enough cash on push bikes to have bought one of the above :?

Back