MOTOR CHAT

Re: Re:

kaiser":1gui528q said:
That Enfield does look cracking. Rob what does 'unit' mean?

With Triumphs it meant that when the engine hand grenaded all the bits stayed in the crankcase instead of decorating the countryside. (May not be strictly accurate. Slight Norton and Velocette owner bias)

On other bikes it meant the gearbox casing was cast integrally with the crankcase.

As far as Tritons are concerned, I reckon the pre-unit was better because the reason the Featherbed handled well was because it had a great lump of motor mounted close to the front wheel, and low. You can do that with the pre-unit and still have the drive sprocket in a reasonably optimal position. With the unit construction ones you have to compromise the engine position one way or the other.

But even better was to keep the original Norton engine and gearbox, although it is much easier to tune a Triumph for more power.

Re:

@Kaiser - customising is as easy or difficult as you wanna make it.........here's my interesting (easy) GPZ1100 exhaust modded on Skye a last weekend....

:facepalm:

Hey but it worked!!

This guy is good if yer inta single cam Hondas....some good info and videos on the site

http://carpyscaferacers.com/

:xmas-cool:

Re:

Nice bodgineering, I'm not too unfamiliar with that type of repair myself :)

I may have acquired a Moto Guzzi Strada 750, not without some faults and I'm not sure how easy it'll be to modify but the price is right ;)

Re:

Here's a nice (although blue) one....

Seriously though - your new hobby has all the characteristics of modding a bicycle frustration/anger/pleasure etc, but with bigger spanners and generally involving more dosh :D

I've just bought an almost complete ZZR1100 for the exhaust alone :D

(...if anyone wants any ZZR bits I'm yer man)

Mr Panda":1rl9z8pr said:
...Seriously though - your new hobby has all the characteristics of modding a bicycle frustration/anger/pleasure etc, but with bigger spanners and generally involving more dosh...

Bigger spanners maybe, but more dosh?

I've been sitting watching a BMW frame on eBay* at a BIN of £200 and reluctant to pay that much. Yet somehow I found no difficulty paying many times that for a bicycle frame if I "needed" it.

*Which I now realise I've missed. :)

epicyclo":2axkxflh said:

I've been sitting watching a BMW frame on eBay* at a BIN of £200 and reluctant to pay that much. Yet somehow I found no difficulty paying many times that for a bicycle frame if I "needed" it.

I've got to agree with you there, I spend far more on bikes than I did on motorbikes a year.

RobMac":1mlb0tzi said:
epicyclo":1mlb0tzi said:

I've got to agree with you there, I spend far more on bikes than I did on motorbikes a year.

Aye but you dinna dae much wi yours :twisted:

Re:

This is something I'm trying to ascertain, is the Strada the same as an S or how much of the bike is the same as other models? Ideally the Strada would just have been fitted with a 'modern' tank and seat but the engine and frame is the same as thon one above.

Back