Moots v dekerf

I had a Dekerf Team ST softail that I believe used a Moots spring. It was a lovely bike but every time I rode it I wished it was a hardtail. I really can't see the point of having an inch of undamped bounce at the rear. It was an interesting concept 15 years ago ...
I've not had the pleasure of a Moots but the Implant is a stunning ride, up, down and sideways.

I have a Moots Rigor Mootis and love it! Not exactly a light frame but bomb-proof. On the other hand DeKerf makes some great frames. That's a tough call... If buying new you might consider DeKerf. You could always pick up a used Moots that's still in great shape for a lot less than buying new, a used DeKerf in your exact size would be almost impossible to find, you'll be able to find a Moots YBB rather easily. In the end I would say DeKerf simply because it's a rarer bike.

suburbanreuben":2ohkqhex said:
I had a Dekerf Team ST softail that I believe used a Moots spring. It was a lovely bike but every time I rode it I wished it was a hardtail. I really can't see the point of having an inch of undamped bounce at the rear. It was an interesting concept 15 years ago ...
I've not had the pleasure of a Moots but the Implant is a stunning ride, up, down and sideways.
Thanks Subs,I took the question off I know where my money is going,ever since I saw a Ti implant I knew one day I would have one,the softail was a thought as I have two herniated discs and half a dozen worn facet joints,but hey that's never stopped me riding in the past,my bikes have always been hard hitters,and when I say light xc,I think I would kill a softail with my version of light xc,besides I wasn't to happy with the price jump off the Moots as soon as a UK importer got involved,ie in the U.S the moots is $3300 dollars in the U.K that turned into £3180 working out at $5100 dollars at the current exchange rate,I contacted Moots and said would people in the U.S be happy to pay $5100 dollars for that frame,so why should I.Chriss on the other hand has answered my problems gives free! Custom fitting and will take care of things himself,and has been very helpfull.....I know now what I need to do.

syncrosfan":3myyu0na said:
I have a Moots Rigor Mootis and love it! Not exactly a light frame but bomb-proof. On the other hand DeKerf makes some great frames. That's a tough call... If buying new you might consider DeKerf. You could always pick up a used Moots that's still in great shape for a lot less than buying new, a used DeKerf in your exact size would be almost impossible to find, you'll be able to find a Moots YBB rather easily. In the end I would say DeKerf simply because it's a rarer bike.
You hit the nail on the head,in fact there is a moots mooto x ybb on the bay in my size,and at a respectable price,(just wasn't sure on the 29er thing it's just I have many bikes and there all 26" and didn't want another variation to consider I want the frame and fork to change the ride not the wheel size)I have seen a few softails for sale either Dekerf,or moots,or salsa,but in all my days I have only ever seen two Ti implants for sale and both a bit small at 19" in fact one chap ended up keeping it so that makes one Ti implant....yep a very rare animal indeed,cheers guys

"I really can't see the point of having an inch of undamped bounce at the rear". About that issue. There's a YBB air version with a SID damper in the back instead of a plain old steel spring. That could give you the necessary amount of adjustment and damping. I'm sure Chris DeKerf could make you a version like that. Thinking Ti softail, I would love an Ibis SilkTi, or a Ritchey Softail (it's steel but that would be ace!), Sunn and Morati made some cool softails as well.

The Moots system has a collar on the seat tube side that can be tightened to lock out the in of travel. Just like a front fork you can then very quickly feel what the difference is.
I've had mine since 2000 and it is going strong. Easily got my money out of it (including not having to pay to ride the tube in London)

Back