Modern groupset on vintage Colnago

Re:

Hiya, I'd agree with the previous posters regarding Powertorque being a PITA and Ultratorque being the way to go, however...if you pay very close attention to the torque setting on the fixing bolt on the non drive side of the PT crank set then it comes off ok (I have the Park Tools puller set). Over torque it at your peril, it makes it very difficult to get off.

The Centaur Red group set looks great, don't be put off by the Powertorque thing as it could only pose an issue when you, or your LBS, need to disassemble at some point in the future.

Martin

Re:

I've just built my '85 Gios up with modern Campagnolo kit and it went together perfect. I used the Veloce ultra torque chainset.

Re: Re:

Penfold6290":ig9aacdt said:
The Centaur Red group set looks great, don't be put off by the Powertorque thing as it could only pose an issue when you, or your LBS, need to disassemble at some point in the future.

Martin

Thanks for all the usefull tips! I've spend some time reading about the Powertorque issue, problem seems to be the expensive tools if I'm correct. Will check my LBS if they have them! Think I'm following Penfolds reasoning though :)

Concerning the wheels, I'm also going modern I think. I was quite inspired by the looks of deanhempshall Gios:

2014-11-29_11.32.00_zpspk1tuxex.jpg

Also this Colnago is more or less what I'm aiming at. Don't like the saddle and bartape though. I guess I'l stick with a polished quill stem and 'old' super record seatpost!

tFQFTHz.jpg

Pretty excited at the moment, just got the forks back from the rechromer. They look mint :D. Frame still needs to be painted and fund saving only started, so will take some time before before it's on the road I guess :)

cjtiJWr.jpg

hamster":1ihpxs9v said:
That bedraggled is exactly the sort of build I suggest, although my personal taste would be to go for some conventional wheels to avoid an 'alloys on an E-Type' look. The modern UT alloy chainset looks absolutely fine - unlike the Shimano Power Rangers look.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but to my eyes a set of ludicrously expensive deep carbon rims on old steel really gets me going big time!

mattr":3m1gk1hz said:
Chromed low profile rims, skin/amberwall tyres.

Anything else looks a bit daft.

Conpletely agree, I'm glad that my build has inspired someone however I regret using the wheels I have.

I've got a pair of polished Mavic MA2 rims to build onces funds allow the purchase of hubs.

Can I ask who did the rechroming on the fork? And how much did it cost?

Been looking for someone in Belgium to replate some stuff for me, but got conflicting
stories about cost, quality and so on.

Whoever did that fork seems to have done a really nice job.

Johnny

@ deanhempshall: I'll help you fund your hubs, how much for the wheels ? :LOL: I quite like their look :)

Johnsqual":ptkf3mg7 said:
Can I ask who did the rechroming on the fork? And how much did it cost?

Been looking for someone in Belgium to replate some stuff for me, but got conflicting
stories about cost, quality and so on.

Whoever did that fork seems to have done a really nice job.

Johnny

Johnny: I'll send you a pm soon with details! Imo very good job, especially for the price paid. Only 'problem' was the waiting time. Took him more or less 3 months :p

Or go with newish but classic Record 9 speed. A beautiful groupset. My old Nago went from this: (After years of service and being made my winter / training bike for a while)

To This:

Or with it's proper wheels

Back