Modern bikes are they lardy?!

Re: Re:

Matthews":iofnerbe said:
In answer to OP yes but they ride so much better , they go up better , down better , stop better and generally ride and handle everything better , last time I was out on the diablo I started with brakes and finished with a very gradual reduction in speed , had an otb moment on a small muddy hole I don't even think about on the 26 soul, the 27.5 soul or the rocket , I was buggered at the end of the ride I do twice a week without thinking about on a modern bike and had to do a load of maintenance rather than give it a quick wash and put it in garage and that's why I ride the lardy modern mainly .
You're buggered because your seat and pub stop are not there.

Re:

Nice gravel bike :cool:

Modern bikes have to be built much stronger to pass safety tests these days. Too many lawyers on speed dial. They are massively over engineered for most cx riding, like a Chelsea tractor on a school run. Also there are a plethora of almost new £3-5k bikes abandoned after a few rides on ebay, so their residuals are not good. I never remember high end bikes being dumped so fast bitd and people still hanker over them today. Many of us, me included could loose significant weight yada yada but its never been fun lumping a 30lb bike around typical country trails.

Re:

Modern bikes are heavy but don't really feel it imo, at least not like they used to. A 30lb retro feels like a boat anchor compared to a 25lb one but it just doesn't cross over to the new stuff. Dunno why, big wheels, better suspension, witch craft?

Re:

Modern bikes are so different in so many ways to retro that it's hardly worth comparing. As has been said, a better comparison would be with hybrid/gravel/etc.

I don't think moderns are heavier than BITD. But it's easier to make them lighter now. The lightest i saw BITD was 17lb. Now it's possible to go down 12lb

I’d also contest the common wisdom that a light bike is easier to ride. Might feel better uphill but a lot more skittery downhill.
Lots of companies actually experimenting with adding weight to frames to improve ride.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/add-weig ... ess-trend/

That has to a fake article...Since when has anyone had to add weight to a modern Orange mountain bike to make not also as sophisticated as a tractor but as heavy as one!

legrandefromage":2ohp7acb said:
Matthews":2ohp7acb said:
In answer to OP yes but they ride so much better , they go up better , down better , stop better and generally ride and handle everything better , last time I was out on the diablo I started with brakes and finished with a very gradual reduction in speed , had an otb moment on a small muddy hole I don't even think about on the 26 soul, the 27.5 soul or the rocket , I was buggered at the end of the ride I do twice a week without thinking about on a modern bike and had to do a load of maintenance rather than give it a quick wash and put it in garage and that's why I ride the lardy modern mainly .

But thats not what was asked

A lot of current bikes are lardy, they are heavy to put into a stand, they are cheap and nasty to work on and hardly a comparison to something an experienced person will put together for themselves.

And a person has to be reasonably fit. Its no use wallet waiving and only being able to ride a few miles before collapsing (great for the second hand market though)

Again, turning up to a classic car meet in a Golf R shouting at how great it is compared to some old Cortina is not what the question was about.

The lady needs a general use 'something' on the cycle to work scheme that is practical and light, not some 8 inch travel downhill rig so she can 'send it' at each Youtube friendly drop-off.

And! And! (thats a lot of sentences starting with an 'A' today) you lot that say how great new stuff is, just remember this twonk:

file.php

And very excited to find out the special guest was LGF! - who did annoyingly well on a totally ridiculous bike for the conditions...

On this bicycle:

file.php

So shut it :LOL:

You know I won't shut it :D
The post title and question "Modern bikes are they lardy?" was what I answered with a yes , it was never asked as to what this lady is looking for (I'll agree she doesn't want an 8" travel monster ), from my understanding of the text in the post it would appear a reasonable quality short travel hardtail or hybrid would fit the bill but we don't know .
I will admit you did amazingly well on your racer but didn't you shortcut to the finish on the road ? ;) ;)

Make sure you get to the weekender when we know when it is .

Fluffy the cement will be dry next time I pass it .

Lardy; Most, but not all.

Stronger; All of them.

Feel heavier when ridden; not in my experience.

You need to look away from trail bikes, which are heavy, but bombproof compared to our old sleds.

XC bikes are still light...ish. Voodoo bizango carbon is £1k and 27.5lb.

I have a mid range scott scale from 2019 which is 24lb. A bit above your budget, but very much less than £1000 in the 90s allowing for inflation.

1994 £1000 = 2020 £2000 so your 1K budget is around £500 from back then, and there weren't many bikes below 27-28lb at £500 back then.

simdagger":29wae6ib said:
I’d also contest the common wisdom that a light bike is easier to ride. Might feel better uphill but a lot more skittery downhill.
Lots of companies actually experimenting with adding weight to frames to improve ride.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/add-weig ... ess-trend/

That has to a fake article...Since when has anyone had to add weight to a modern Orange mountain bike to make not also as sophisticated as a tractor but as heavy as one!

Any tractor is much more sophisticated than a bike. They're not hyped up to sell to a gullible public though, which is maybe where the confusion arises.
If weight is regarded as a thing to be eradicated in bike design, why are all kinds of cyclists keen to hang on to older, heavier machines? My '93 Clockwork is a very light bike, and zips up hills (well, I zip, but the bike helps) but I haven't jettisoned all my heavier bikes. Each has a certain feel, or function, and I like riding all of them- that's why they're with me.

Back