Minimum insertion on a syncros hardcore seatpost

Edav97

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Does anyone know why the minimum insertion depth is on a syncros hardcore seatpost? I’ve got one that’s been cut and I need to know how much I should have below the frame.

Cheers

It's usually the frame that fails with inadequate insertion, not the post.

Good frame quality, esp. aluminium, extended seatpost collar, lightweight fillet, poorly shaped slot all demand a better/ longer fit.

A higher saddle breaks the frame quicker too.

It's usually the frame that fails with inadequate insertion, not the post.

Good frame quality, esp. aluminium, extended seatpost collar, lightweight fillet, poorly shaped slot all demand a better/ longer fit.

A higher saddle breaks the frame quicker too.
I’m actually putting it on a steel frame road bike, so maybe this isn’t the best place to ask, but I know syncros are more popular in the mtb world.

The seat tube is 26.8mm and has been cut to 200mm below the seat post clamp. It’s a steel frame in Columbus Cromor tubing. The frame is 51cm and I tend to ride with 100-130mm of post out of the frame. This leaves me with 70-100mm of post within the frame. So at the most a fifth of the overall seat tube length.

How does this affect your thoughts on it?

Lugged Road frames have a lot of strength at the lug.
Vintage franes often only had 3 inches of post insertion, with 4" projecting, so the frame builders would be expecting this.

So if its a lugged frame and the post is a nice fit, and the slot looks tidy, it's fine.

If its fillet brazed, with a sloping toptube, the builder might be expecting 120 min insertion.

The post isn't the problem if it's the right size - it's the seat cluster.

Lugged Road frames have a lot of strength at the lug.
Vintage franes often only had 3 inches of post insertion, with 4" projecting, so the frame builders would be expecting this.

So if its a lugged frame and the post is a nice fit, and the slot looks tidy, it's fine.

If its fillet brazed, with a sloping toptube, the builder might be expecting 120 min insertion.

The post isn't the problem if it's the right size - it's the seat cluster.
Yep, lugged frame. Sure, I’ve seen the old campganolo posts that are barely 180mm total!

Thanks for your advice

Back