Middle ring Q

Is the inner ring on a double chainset the same as a middle one on a triple chainset?
It depends on which chainsets you mean. Newer ones will have differing teeth profiles to aid shifting. And do they have the same bolt circle diameter? A picture could be helpful

Most common double is 52 42. Triples tend to be 52 42 36 but this is always a personal preference thing, depending upon the terrain and loads you're going to be encountering. Mtb triples are 48 38 28 with many other variables.

It depends on which chainsets you mean. Newer ones will have differing teeth profiles to aid shifting. And do they have the same bolt circle diameter? A picture could be helpful
I've got an unused 130bcd 42t that was for a Shimano double chainset. I'm in the process of making up a triple with a Shimano 130bcd/74bcd Triple crank. I need to buy an outer and inner, just wondered if my unramped 42t would work as a middle?

I've got an unused 130bcd 42t that was for a Shimano double chainset. I'm in the process of making up a triple with a Shimano 130bcd/74bcd Triple crank. I need to buy an outer and inner, just wondered if my unramped 42t would work as a middle?
It will work. Shifting may be slower. Front derailleur has to be compatible with those specific chainrings too, if it is a triple derailleur.

Latest posts

Back