Merlin Titanium - the honest 'Brit' build

Anyone know why the rear dropouts are 132.5mm (as per catalogue and near as dammit measured in reality)? So either a 130 or 135 could go in?
I've bought an earlier XT hub so will be getting the rear wheel re-built. Shall I space it to 132.5mm before re-build as I have the opportunity to? The wheel would only be for this frame. I'd have to choose axle length carefully and mock-up to make sure the axle doesn't protrude the dropouts if I chose a '135' axle.

I'd still love to know who made the Ti seatpost so I can eventually state it on the list of build parts. It's 25.4mm. Rusty bolts now replaced with Ti and a new 1992 Vetta Lite fitted.

Cheers

IMG_1179.JPG

Dropout spacing allows the use of 130 or 135 rear hubs as you suspected.
Cool, thanks - a 135 came out of it, the (brand) new XT one is currently 130 and so pinches-in the stays a teeny bit. I might as well space it to 132.5 as it's a one-off - it'll be a chance to put new grease in - even though Shimano grease seems to last decades.
Cheers

Have you seen these? The 130 rear spacing would suit your frame as would the Ti upgrades

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back