Merlin Titanium - it's landed

Yarp - what a bit of kit it is! Beautiful welds, I gave it as good a going-over as I could before paying the auction house and I couldn't see any dents or cracks etc. I was going to take photos with my old Canon but the battery needed a charge overnight, so picures soon.

19.5" c-to-c so it's 'large' (there was an XL in the range). It has remnants of a black headbadge, Grease Guard BB with circlips, 987 cantis, a nice Kingsbery headset and to top it off a Ti seatpost. I can't identify which brand seatpost it is so I'll be asking that. The bottle cage might also be Ti but I can't quite decide. Lots of questions and pictures to come.

Cheers

Here it is - serial 2946. What year do you think?!

IMG_1174.JPG
It's got an RD-6400 Ultegra/ 600 rear 8-spd rear mech and an XC Comp front mech - both of which will probably stay. I think it's not going to be any more 'boutiquey' than it already is - the cranks are swish Toplines. Both rims are M231 in good condition - front hub is an M730 XT, rear M737 8spd - I guess the original rear failed and the owner had it re-built? I'll probably keep as-is for now - just put a 7spd cassette on. Rear spacing is bob-on at 132.5mm and the rear wheel wasn't pushed in hard so can't be 135mm.

The shonky stem has gone - I need a 'nice' 1" stem! Ideally with noodle/ roller. I might have one in the shed - TBC - otherwise a wanted ad

I'll be going rigid up front so I need a 'nice' pair of forks too. If my local contact can't help I'll have to post a wanted ad.

The brake levers are nice black SS-7 which will stay as will the silver Dia-Compe 987 cantis - nowt wrong with them. There are a few ally and Ti bolts here and there which is a bonus.

The real bonus was this seatpost - who made it?! I haven't found similar with an ally collar at the top - maybe I've not looked hard enough?

IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG

Remnants of original decal

IMG_1165.JPG

It's a roller headset which is a nice suprise

IMG_1166.JPG

Pace 'rings which seem pretty good

IMG_1168.JPG

Mmmmm....welds....

IMG_1171.JPG

What's the score with these doodads under the BB? I need to clean and inspect further but I can't quite tell if they're grub screws for some part of the BB or grease ports - any help/ schematics appreciated. I'll not take the BB bearing out unless I find they graunchy - if the jist of it is that grease can be injected I'll do that first

IMG_1173.JPG

The aim is to just spruce it up - decals for a start. Tan-wall tyres are on the way. Clean and re-grease the hubs, headset and mechs. 7spd XT thumbies are lined-up to mount on new 1992 I believe Tioga DL2001 bars which are really swish in a pewter colour. Just forks and stem to source really. I'm glad it doesn't need a re-paint as that would really stall things! My Explosif still hasn't had it's paint-job in a year and a half - if it was painted I have everything to lob on that in a day...

So, what year? It'll help in identifying parts I need that aren't too far away from it's year of birth.

Help too - the forks will probably by default be black. Should I ideally seek a silver ally stem, or could I go black and painted steel? I know collars and cuffs should match but as the seatpost is 'silver' - I guess stem should match? It is a very silver machine already...help!

The Mag20 does seem to have the sharp edged and slightly champagnish hued crown, which I believe means it is the early magnesium one that corrode if the conditions are bad, and it is the crown that was recalled. I have a few in various states in my collection and think they are great for that story, but don't ride them.

#2946 congratulations! I see #2922 is on here, and similar size to yours. The thread indicates #2922 was built by Rob Vandermark at Merlin in 1990 so I expect yours to be the same. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1990-merlin-mountain-updated-with-new-pics.122981/

@bmx4130crmo also posted this pic which confirms those are indeed access ports for greasing the bottom bracket:

View attachment 888277
Brilliant, thanks for that - the picture of the BB is very useful and a good reference for the future - thanks for re-posting.

Latest posts

Back