BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Black decals, straight stays and U-brake all point to a pre 1992 frame. The only way to date it correctly is to find out the serial number and compare it with the dates on Mombat ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Fudd":285g5nli said:
Black decals, straight stays and U-brake all point to a pre 1992 frame. The only way to date it correctly is to find out the serial number and compare it with the dates on Mombat ;)

Frame number is 1343 which doesn't fit when looking at the numbers on Mombat.

Blimey, those welds don't look anything like the quality I would normally associate with Merlin - very rough and ready...

BB

raidan73":2jq02ks2 said:
Frame number is 1343 which doesn't fit when looking at the numbers on Mombat.

Odd one that. I'd guess its a 89 frame with an extra digit on the end :? . You could try emailing Tom Kellog at Spectrum. My frame would have been one of the last 1992 frames going by the Mombat numbers but it was made in May/June according to Tom....

BoyBurning":2jq02ks2 said:
Blimey, those welds don't look anything like the quality I would normally associate with Merlin - very rough and ready...

To be fair, I've seen worse welds on early Merlins. I think the welders were probably still learning to master their trade in the early days.

Back