Mercian Saved!

All well and good moaning when these people go under and cheering when they’re saved but if you want them to thrive you’ve got to put your money where your mouth is and buy their product.

Recycling old bikes doesn’t keep these people in business.

Well, that is a bit of a challenge when you make good quality products that hold up well functionally and will outlast their owners.

Not much of a business model in our current economic system.

For that reason I am glad they were picked up by people with (I assume) some business sense. With that they will at least have a fighting chance of long term survival.

I hope.

That is true and if I did want a new British handbuilt Reynolds steel frame then Mercian would be top of my list. But I still wonder how they will sell enough to be a viable concern. Where will the demand come from? Hence thinking they will need to change the business model in some way.
Check out Rourke

I know if I had any say, and without knowing what their product range was before (aside from frames) that they should market branded clothing, kits, accessories, etc. As someone who owns many older model bikes and which I probably have no intent of purchasing a brand new frame/bike at this stage in my life, I would still buy original shop merchandise related to the brand. I am always willing to buy a shirt (whether cycling or T-shirt), water bottles, gloves, etc. that reflect the marque of my bicycle regardless of the "period correct" factor. If they marketed new product reproductions of their old accessories I would be even more inclined to spend my money and have it go to the shop and not some online retailer. That would at least garner some interest from present owners of their product while still providing revenue from brand new customers. I think it would be difficult to float the business based on handmade frames aloneespecially without knowing what their profit margin is on frames and what their present financial situation is. Having started a brick & mortar business from scratch myself I know what one faces to get revenue flie going without an established history. One would think that they could use that name as marketing leverage in other areas to bolster the brands original model while hopefully being able to expand their range. I certainly agree with others that some lower cost products would need to be outsourced and marketed in accordance with an emphasis on the know standards for providing a quality product, but being able to do so at a lower price tier in order to reach a broader market. Just play that label game where it says designed in England by Mercian. Seems to have worked for brands like Bianchi for decades, and heck most of Colnago's frames are made in Asia excepting their top tier stuff. I find that most people do not read the fine print (i.e. "made in Taiwan") on decals lurking in less conspicuous areas of a product. Just slap your brand on it enough times in bold font and it will sell if the market will bear it. All I see around me is TREK TREK TREK, no one has any clue other than its a brand name they have come to trust and regardless it seems of where it was manufactured they are still willing to pay a lot of money for it. It may come down to the pount of where there will be a Mercian carbon frame out there if that's what it takes to preserve their place in the market while still selling what they were originally known for. Heck, I about vomited when I saw a Colnago with painted on "arabesque" designs on a carbon frame which I first thought were actual custom formed lugs. Nope, just paint!. Mercian could do the same by marketing new bikes embellished with old designs which might even entice some older owners of their previous craftsmanship to buy the new stuff, if only to have one standing next to an original classic with the same lug design.

Last edited:
Funny, but I thought "musette" was a reference to bagpipes and was thinking that those bags were missing their pipes! It must be a UK thing.

Back