Maxam

Not yet, but they're on the radar. Definitely not a lot of them out there...
p4pb17355377.jpg
Post from MongoRay at the bottom of the page gives a good history of the brand from someone claiming to a founder of Maxam.

"Maxam was born in Toronto in 1989. It was my brain child, based on existing bike industry expertise and connections, within the parent company. Without getting in to details, together with three hard core cycling fans, working in the Toronto retail cycling industry, we put our heads together, sold the idea to the parent company and started putting a line of mountain bikes together.

Manufacturing was 100% Taiwan (not China) based. This was at the time that Taiwan was where it was happening and before the island's massive industry migrated to the Chinese mainland. The first couple of model years were awesome and Maxam was turning heads and people were talking. We kept a tight fist on quality and cost and the result was that the company was rewarded with a quickly growing circle of fans. The name was getting out and several magazine reviews were a real shot in the arm.

Unfortunately, the parent company quickly lost its taste for the business and long story short, wasn't prepared to make the time commitment to establish market presence in Canada (just at a time when we were on the brink of launching in several European countries and Australia. We were deliberately avoiding the US-market until our foundation was more solidly established and we could properly handle it).

Corporate management decided to sell the business as a going concern and that is where the CyclePath connection came from. By the time this was a discussion, the original Maxam Team had all left - so anything starting with CyclePath had nothing to do with the original concept and I can't comment as to their successes and/or failures."

There's a Maxam Traxion for sale in Nanaimo, BC for $129. Seems decent for someone wanting to put time and money into a Canadian steed like this. Judging from the purple decal on seat tube, I'm thinking that its Easton Reaction 7005 tubes, so not a bad little frame

Attachments

• Maxam.JPG
    Maxam.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 21
BTW: there is a nice Maxam brochure from 1991 on Ebay since a while

Not my offer,
but pictures of the offer are quite good and it looks like there is a scan of the entire brochure.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back