Mavic/Hope/DT Rev Wheel Build

ProjectKole

Retro Newbie
I've decided to get some wheels built to the spec I think I want and was hoping some of you knowledgable fellow forum members could give me some advice/help/opinions etc :)

I already have these Hope titanium hubs...

and I was thinking of going for DT Revolution double butted spokes with something like these Mavic XC717 rims...

I assume the above mavic rims are newer models as I thought the retro ones were flatter with a larger braking area? I am not 100% decided on what rim yet so any opinion or advice is welcome, I am 6'4 and 13 stone and the bike will be mainly for XC and woodland trails etc.

Also wanting to keep the weight pretty low if possible.

Finally..... What spoke pattern should I go for? 2 cross or 3 cross, and any wheel builder recommendations for the Bristol area?

Louis.

Louis I've built loads of wheelsets in that combo and for heavier riders than yourself as long as the hub flanges aren't cracked! (Those hubs and early ones had that problem) they will be fine for xc/woodland trail use. My wheels on my genesis are hope xc hubs with to freehub and 717 disc with revs rear and sapim xc ray front both have stood the test of time and abuse lol.

Happy trails Dan

Ps keep to 3 cross spoke pattern strongest patten to weight 2 cross would be ok for front but IMHO a bit flexy for rear with revs mainly depends if your a smooth rider or bash it over everything

Re:

Cool, think I will stick to that set up then as the 717's seem to get good reviews etc, and looks like I will go for the 3 cross spoke pattern on both, just need to find a good wheel builder around the Bristol area now :)

I ride similarly built wheels around the Bristol area, AC, LW etc, and I am a similar weight to you. no problems!

Back