Wanted Mavic Crossmax Rim Brake Wheelset

PhilJ87

Devout Dirtbag
Looking fir a set of 26" rim brake crossmax wheels similar to the ones in the attached photo.

Not sure on the specific model or year.

Preferably silver vs black but open to options.

1000059012.jpg
1000059013.jpg

Ha that's my litespeed. Long gone now but I've still got the crossmaxs. They've just gone from bike to bike over the years.

I think they're the mk2s, flat bladed spokes, whereas the mk1 were a wider run and round spokes. I've a set of those too 🙈

Ah sorry. I couldn't remember whose they were. I am glad you saw it.

Bike looks soo nice so want to do a similar build on one of my litespeeds.

Fancy selling any of the pairs you have ?

Ha unfortunately not. Maybe the mk1s. But both were a pain in the ass to find. I could be wrong but I don't think they came in silver? The later disc ones did

Mk1 only came in black for sure

Mk2 I’m 99% sure was black only also

My advice if buying is to make sure they don’t have cracks around the nipples holes , wobbly spokes , cracked feeehubs etc. Spokes also seize and spin which is a hassle.

Mk1 versions are awkward to find a good pair and took me having 3-4 sets before I was happy.

Ha unfortunately not. Maybe the mk1s. But both were a pain in the ass to find. I could be wrong but I don't think they came in silver? The later disc ones did

Mk1 only came in black for sure

Mk2 I’m 99% sure was black only also

My advice if buying is to make sure they don’t have cracks around the nipples holes , wobbly spokes , cracked feeehubs etc. Spokes also seize and spin which is a hassle.

Mk1 versions are awkward to find a good pair and took me having 3-4 sets before I was happy.
1000001076.jpg

Here is another nice bike I found... also the black wheelsets look nice against the raw titanium so black won't be an issue.

The bladed spokes are what I would be after so sounds like I'm after a set if mk2s then. Thanks all.

Reactions: Woz
Have a "few" sets of these in various condition. Based in France / EU though.

From memory, Zircal alloy spokes appeared later, in what was said earlier probably the Mk 2 version (or perhaps even later since I have seen some versions with "Mk 1" hub changes with the steel traditional spokes).

The XL version had solid round spokes. There is a version with bladed spokes too, which I'm prettys sure were branded with the name SL, I believe that was a fraction bit later. Black is most common.

The rims with cut-outs though with extra machening to near death are SL SSC and were / are more common in silver finish with bladed spokes. SSC being Special Service de Course - ie. top end race day wheels. In my experience, it's these that crack near the valve hole on the rim internal channel.

It is shocking when you find it's actually going on under a bar-code traceability sticker too. :LOL:

At the end of day, IMHO, these are all one of the last and best 26" high end ultra light and ultra rigid wheelsets with some niggles and the freehub does need regular maintenance to last.

Last edited:
Have a "few" sets of these in various condition. Based in France / EU though.

From memory, Zircal alloy spokes appeared later, in what was said earlier probably the Mk 2 version (or perhaps even later since I have seen some versions with "Mk 1" hub changes with the steel traditional spokes).

The XL version had solid round spokes. There is a version with bladed spokes too, which I'm prettys sure were branded with the name SL, I believe that was a fraction bit later. Black is most common.

The rims with cut-outs though with extra machening to near death are SL SSC and were / are more common in silver finish with bladed spokes. SSC being Special Service de Course - ie. top end race day wheels. In my experience, it's these that crack near the valve hole on the rim internal channel.

It is shocking when you find it's actually going on under a bar-code traceability sticker too. :LOL:

At the end of day, IMHO, these are all one of the last and best 26" high end ultra light and ultra rigid wheelsets with some niggles and the freehub does need regular maintenance to last.
Hey Woz thank you this is ultra informative. That now answers the question I was going to have about SSC notation.

I have found a number if sets on eBay in Europe but may come back in your direction if I can't find anything within the UK.

Thanks again.

Back