Mavic ceramic rim coating

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Shoukd I worry about the ceramic coating on a set of mavic crossmax rims having worn through? Appreciate it may impact braking a bit, but would I be right in assuming the rim under it is just a normal rim, designed for braking anyway?

It's not got to the point where I'd consider taking the ceramic coating off, but would that be an option further down the line?

Only issue is pad material. The ceramic compatible pads will eat the bare aluminium.
Maybe switch to standard pads and accept that they'll not last as long.

Better than mangling a rim

Re:

I always found ceramic compound pads although longer lasting, not as good as normal alu pads on ceramic crossmax rims.

the coating lasted forever on normal pads. The ceramic pads did eat through it a bit.

Kool stop salmons on my ceramics are doing quite well and wouldn't harm the ally.

I get salmon brake dust after a +40mph decent so they are wearing, but there not expensive either ...

Great braking in the dry, a bit compromised in the wet (first application / sweep) but still OK - bear in mind I normally ride a road bike with carbon rims as a comparison though ... :LOL:

Biggest concern I would have is broken ceramic getting in the pad and it killing the exposed ally real quick ...

WD :D

Latest posts

Back