Marmite brands - the love hate relationships

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Imprinting at a young age means that there will always be things that stick to us for as long as we can think. For instance, there will always be a soft spot for our first real bikes or first car.

But, no matter what, there are brands that we show no love for whatsoever even after education from this site.

Here are my personal marmite brands with reasons given, no excuses, just why they dont catch my eye.

GT - one trick brand, Zaskar is king but having ridden the steels, they leave me cold. I have genuinely gone off them.

Marin - failed to catch my eye as a kid, failed to empty my wallet as an adult. Mount Vision maybe but nowt else. Doesnt even prick the sausage of nostalgia

Yeti - even looking back through old MTB spank mags, nope, not a thing, not a twitch

Kona - Maybe it was the estate rat image where I grew up, they look good, I even own one but again, not something I'll go out of my way to get.

just some randoms for now, I'm sure there are more, I'll post them later.

;)

Klein - *ducks* apart from the paint I think they are harsh and not that pretty.

Marin - Same reasons as LGF, but also poor build quailty when I was working in LBS, lots of broken ones.

Trimble - plastic, need I say more.

That's all for now.

Gary Fisher: You can't have a bike called Gary, know virtually nothing about the range because of this.

Cannondale:I love em, but lots of folks don't

GT, Marin, Trek, Giant, Scott, Gary Fisher, Trimble & Klein (but they are pretty!) all do nowt for me. That's not to say I can't appreciate any of their creations, just a general feeling towards them.

I neither like or dislike Konas, so I can't really put them on the list... shame :LOL:

I agree with LGF 'your first bike' thing. My first 'real' ahem MTB was a Raleigh Mirage (white one, not the purple thing!!!) then a Dyna Tech, so i pretty much love Dyna Tech's to pieces (insert joke here!!).

My hate is Specialized! Never saw anything in them, someone said that Giant are the Beige of biking (i've got one,love it , but see what you mean!) I would say that Specialized are the Magnolia.

Disclaimer - personal opionion only and I wouldn't judge anyone for feeling different (or even the exact opposite to me) on any of these, each to his own and all that.

Cannondale - love the F series hardtails and early Super Vs

Kona - steel ones yes, ally ones noooo

GT - no love at all, just think they look like farm gates

Schwinn - the raleigh of the USA? maybe but i like their homegrown stuff

Marin - boring, cheap, dull, never liked them at all

Klein - yes, but i have a thing for the 94-98 ones, when they calmed down a little but weren't yet Treks (hacing said that i still like later attitudes)

Back