Marin Wolf Ridge 1999, help needed! Hope C2 Manitou Xvert E

Well I have decided to hold this bike of for a while, I plan on building a couple of other bikes that I have and room is limited.

I couldn't get the pistons out either, I may need to make a tool up.

Re:

I built a 17.5" C2C Wolf Ridge for my daughter and replaced a coil-shock with a 185mm-ish Rockshox air shock. There's 3-4mm clearance to seat tube. I think I still have the coil shock that was on it somewhere, could measure it if you want.
My youngest daughter's Marin is a 13.5" C2C and it has a 165mm Fox air shock, think it is original. A 17.5" Wild Cat Trail frame I have has a 200mm Fox RX coil shock.
So 3 different shock lengths depending on frame size and geometry, as the Wolf Ridge and Wild Cat Trail are both 17.5" C2C but they differ in other dimensions.

Re: 1999 Wolf Ridge

So, my beloved 1999 Wolf Ridge is now considered retro! :(

Signed-up as I thought the post was interesting & thought I could comment on a few of the points, I also have a question!

Regarding the rear-suspension, definitely shouldn't be touching the frame, there should be an approx. 5mm gap there.

Regarding the Manitou X-Vert E forks, these are indeed original. However, mine are only single crown. I have just stripped, cleaned & re-built my forks & I was very pleased to discover everything still in working order (a good thing, as parts are near impossible to obtain!). I think that's pretty good going for a 16 yr. old fork!

So, I was breathing a new lease of life into my forks as I fancied some shiny new discs..., and have run into the problem that you highlight, namely the 68mm post mount incompatibility issue. I did use to have Hope C2s - which of course fitted - but I ditched these long ago (for some V-brakes) as they were faff-tastic. However, I now, for vanity reasons(!) want to go back to discs.

Did you find a workable solution to mount your Shimano calliper? Having trawled the web I can't find a 68mm to 74mm post mount adapter. a2z do make a 68mm to IS mount adapter..., but you would then need a second adapter to go from IS to 74mm, this seems inelegant!

Another solution I am contemplating is using a Hope Post to Post Disc Brake Adapter (from CRC). This is a 74mm to 74mm “disc extender” adapter, but looking closely at it I think it might be possible to drill a new hole and convert it to a 68mm to 74mm adapter (an engineering drill would be useful for this!). I’m slightly concerned about structural integrity, but my guesstimate is that it would be okay; my other concern is what size disc I’d end up requiring…, tricky!!

Hope you got your Wolf Ridge up and running, still a fantastic bike IMHO :D

Wolf Ridge and Attack Trail both used a 185mm shock. They aren't unavailable in an air shock upgrade, but they're thin on the ground. Keep searching '185mm shock' on eBay, and they do turn up. The 190mm will touch the frame! They also use the same rear swingarm length as the Mount Vision.

The B-17 and Wildcat Trail use a 200mm shock.

The Mount Vision and Rift Zone use a 165mm shock.

Back