marin quake 9.0 fsr

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Staggered to find this in my local cash converters.
Its right next to a bus stop i use a lot and happened to look around to see a full sus marin with what looked like a complete XT m739 groupset.
After a bit of research that evening i get the specs on the bike , its original cost etc from bikepedia
I'd thought from my 10 second glance that is was XT sti units but was pretty chuffed to find they were separate.

I was intending to sell the frame and forks(headset,stem.bars,post etc) as its a 17.5" and im a giant @ 6'3"
Too good a deal i just couldnt walk away from it :? I spent the evening fretting that it would be snapped up by some other cyclist.

Success :D and i even got them to knock another £30 off it.

As i said my intention was to sell the frame etc and keep the rest for a bigger frame at sometime in the future but when i got it home(rode it :LOL:) and saw the near mint condition of the parts i decided to clean and polish out any of the imperfections and rebuild it for piccys for our general reference use.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... =Quake+9.0

The bike was complete to the umpteenth detail. Nothing had been changed,right down to the 26 x 2.10" WTB VelociRaptor kevlar tyres and VP pedals.

Pic is the white industry cranks after a short time of autosol and a soft cloth. Matched them with my new middleburn CD drive rings i thought id never find a home for Chuffed about this :D
Its completely stripped at present, a few weeks and ill have it reassembled.

Attachments

• Marin Quake 9 fsr 1997 007 (Medium).JPG
    Marin Quake 9 fsr 1997 007 (Medium).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 961
  • Marin Quake 9 fsr 1997 002 (Medium).JPG
    Marin Quake 9 fsr 1997 002 (Medium).JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 961
  • White Industries & Middleburn Crankset 002 (Medium).JPG
    White Industries & Middleburn Crankset 002 (Medium).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 962
Yeah, no doubt strong enough where it matters but those sides are vunerable to say the least

Update-
Cleaned more or less everything. Only real issue is the previous owner had gorilla hands and crushed the ends of the bar where the barends sit. Ill put back the bar ends i wouldnt be to happy about actually using them. Barends are scraped(as seems their fate in this world :cry:) so ill need to find replacements to keep to mint look throughout, thankfully theyre plain silver with Marin logo'd on and hopefully easier to find, which is a hint by the way :LOL:

Next step is to give the cranks a final polish, then a hot soapy wash and rinse before using polished metal lacquer to keep it looking good.

Forks :shock: Crumbs

OK, it's probably time I came out; here's mine and I love it...

14dlno4.jpg

ex-eBay, from Wales, I think it's a bits-box special and I've been easing it back to a sensible spec since. By'eck it's noisy though! Every slight maladjustment is echoed through the frame.

Im looking closely at the cable routing as i didnt really pay it the attention it needed.

Oh Boy :(

I see you looked into fitting discs for it at some point ?, if so how did you get on over the rear end, not fancy the Hope system ?

Had one of these since new, so now fast approaching 17 years old.
Has to be the best bike have ever owned.

azrael":9ydc3hg5 said:
Had one of these since new, so now fast approaching 17 years old.
Has to be the best bike have ever owned.
Do you still have it ? Post a pic :D
Uncle Buck":9ydc3hg5 said:
OK, it's probably time I came out; here's mine and I love it...
It certainly looks robust enough to handle about any fork you want to put on. Its just a shame the rear is limited to travel. another 1 1/2" would make a superb bouncer.

I see you have maguras ? Was there a disc mount arm ? cos im sure ive seen one on somewhere on here :? Ill take a look.

As its currently in bits and the Ti is stripped for the repair to the clamp i thought i'd try another little sub project :D Just something to be getting on with before the marins rebuilt using the entire 1997 XT groupset.

Ill be adding a hope style IS mount to the rear to accommodate a pair of X2's .To do this though i need one of Hopes driveside spacers to be modified. A few pics to do and ill ask Hope if they'd do me a part machined one.
At present theyre hollow, to modify to what i think ill need leaves too little metal so a solid one with the outside shaped and the hole for the skewer. The rest is a little bit of turning thats not really that critical :? Just the approximate is fine

So modern wheels,forks brakes and might as well go Sram XO as it is a top end frame :cool:

Yes i agree, the purple CK has no place there :LOL:

Attachments

• 1997 Quake modern build 002 (Custom).JPG
    1997 Quake modern build 002 (Custom).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 706
I found a nos disk swingarm for mine and was going to all up to date on it, but it was more cost effective just to buy a new whyte :)

Latest posts

Back