Marin Monocoque 21"

-Silver-

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

recently I bought a Marin Monocoque, obviously from 1996. From the pics it looked quite large, so I was convinced to get a 19" frame, as all catalogues from 1996 say, that there was only 15.5", 17.5" and 19" available.

After it arrived at my place I was quite surprised to measure 21" seat tube lenght, a 24" top tube and a head tube of 160 mm. The 19 incher from the catalogues has got only 23" top tube and a 150 mm head tube.

Questions:

1. Was there an inofficial 21 incher (potentially for European markets) ?
2. Is the 19 incher measured from center BB to top of seat tube (maybe my measurment is wrong) ??
3. Even when my top tube and seat tube measurements are entirely wrong, why is my head tube then at 160 mm (which is easy to measure and definitely 10 mm longer than claimed in catalogues) ?

I'm quite perplexed at the moment, as I couldn't find any info about 21" Marin Monocoques on the internet. Maybe one of you guys know more...

Attachments

• IMG_2520_kk.jpg
    IMG_2520_kk.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 678
Re:

Hey Silver,

Marin measure their frames from the centre of the BB to the centre of where the top tube and seat tube cross.

Measured this way, your frame is probably a 19 inch.

But I have no experience of your frame - happy to be corrected by someone who has. :D

Enjoy the ride!

Re:

Hey Jon,

thanks for quick response. Middle to middle seems to be around 19". So it's supposed to be a 19 incher then. Marin also seems to have a strange measure for their top tubes, as there's no chance to measure 23" between seat post and head tube, no matter how you measure.

If someone out there also owns a 19": Can you let me know if your head tube is also 10 mm longer than claimed ? (This huge head tube messed up my fork plans...)

Many thanks !

P.S. I just had a short ride. Nice sound... :mrgreen:

Back