Marin D.H. -FRS

3gdean

Retro Newbie
Hey all.

I bought this marin a few weeks ago now and have been trying to figure out exactly what i have,,,,these bikes are hard work.
cannot find this model anywhere, here, bikepedia and google images. Ive also tried to decipher the frame i.d but with no luck.

It was pretty ropey and some money has already been spent new bushes, bearings, headset, grips.

Next purchases are mazocchi 888's, hope front and rear disc and go from there.

Cheers

Dean

It was one up from the B-17 IIRC. Nice bike though. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

As far as I know the DH FRS is the frame-only version of the Team DH FRS/B-17. The team would have been built up like this:

TeamDH001.jpg

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... m+DH+F.R.S

Looks great! I'm building up a Team at the moment. Do you know what it weighs?

Thanks for the info and replies

Paid 140 for it,,, no one bid on eBay. It was ropey though I was half tempted not to have it when I saw it due to abolutely nothing being tightened up, no front brake bald and flat tyres. It was a woman selling on behalf of her scally son.

It's the white swing arm that has been throwing me, had a passing comment that it's 01/02 year frame? Fh8jac176 frame id

Haven't weighed it sorry.

Slapping an 8" travel fork on that might do weird things to the handling of the bike. It was designed around a 6" fork (which I think is what is on it now. Is that a Rock Shox Lyric?). Raising the front end 2" will also raise the bottom bracket by an inch and make the bike feel like a Giraffe! If it was my bike, I'd put a shorter stem on it (if the fit allows) and a nice wide bar, but leave the fork.

The rear ends tended to crack, probably a replacement you have on there.

Agreed putting a fork like that on it would throw the bike out geometry wise. The original forks and the original on the B17 were tripple clamps but a lot thinner and less travel. I would put some decent single crown forks on it, as modern tripple clamps I would not trust with to stress the headtube and make it feel like a chopper.

I had one very briefly but I put my sensible head on and thought of the cost of putting discs and new forks and rear shock on and then decided I would be half way there to something a lot more modern and less pogo-y. That said, for the price you paid that's a great deal, I would love one again when I am more flush with cash!

If that was mine, I would just whack some superstar nano pedals on, shorter stem and ride ride ride

walleater":1df0ovef said:
Slapping an 8" travel fork on that might do weird things to the handling of the bike. It was designed around a 6" fork (which I think is what is on it now. Is that a Rock Shox Lyric?). Raising the front end 2" will also raise the bottom bracket by an inch and make the bike feel like a Giraffe! If it was my bike, I'd put a shorter stem on it (if the fit allows) and a nice wide bar, but leave the fork.

Ye put the shorter stem on it a day later, pic was from when I polished it up. The forks are rock shox recon 327. Managed to get some brakes today, hope c2's?

How much they worth? There's none listed on the bay ATM

Dean

The swing-arm is most likely a replacement, either due to cracking or because it has an IS disc mount.

Where did you get your shock bushes from? I'm thinking mine would be better off being replaced.

Got the shock bushes from eBay, they are a standard size. You can get metal or poly ones, how much of difference there is between the two I don't know.

http://bit.ly/180Ejos
This is what I got,,, easy job

Dean

Back