Marin Bear Valley SE

Rockstar

Retro Newbie
Hello I own early-mid 90's Bear Valley SE after getting it out of retirement I've got several routes open and I'm looking for some advice / idea of worth. The spec is:
Frame: Original 19"
Wheels: Araya rims / Exage hubs / Rockstar Tyres
Groupset: Exage 500 LX
Headset: Richey unsure of the model
Bars: Marin Lite Alu
Stem: Marin Lite
Seatpost + QR: Marin Lite
Forks: Rock Shox Mag 21's (have the original rigid forks too)
Saddle: Marin
Pedals: Might be Marin they're unbadged but they came with the bike and are retro toe strappers

So thats the spec the problem I have is that like a tool I threw out the Mag 21 inflation pump a while ago so I've got no real way of checking the seals on the shocks, the area the bike was stored in wasn't great on the rubber at the top of the socks or the original grips (tyres are fine though)

I have freedom of movement in the shocks but with no pressure I dont know if they'll hold or how long they'd last. The BB probably needs a strip downand clean, doesn't move too freely in reverse but goes all the way round and feels smooth with no clunking. There are a few scratches on the frame and most of the chrome bolts have surface rust. Original stickers are abound with minor peal on 1 maybe 2.

The plan was to get the beast back on the (off) road again but the problems with the Mag's and BB means that I dont have the correct tools to fix them.

Any advice on getting it back on the road with functioning shocks and BB as soon as I'd quite like to avoid a shop service if possible, did I ought to cut my losses and invest in a new bike? (I'm guessing I could get barred for suggesting that

Can post pics if that'd help.

Swapping the BB is probably about £30, and forks here start at around the same for something serviceable if battered.

I'd just ride it a bit at first and then decide.

How much if any damage would I do to the shocks by riding them bottomed out? Because of my idiotic pump fiasco they're flat so to speak.

If you do sell could I be cheeky and ask for the Marin Seat Q/R, could supply you with a replacement pimpy X-Lite one as a swap.
Cheers
Rich

Well you'll need a crank extractor to remove the cranks then if not a sealed cartridge BB, a long wide screwdriver to hammer the lock rings and cups out. Not too difficult.

But go to the bike shop get them to do it and buy a sealed BB like a UN52 or similar. So much easier to use look after.

As for hte MAG21's
I actually have 2 of the pumps somewhere.

But to test if they are ok, go to a sparts shop and by a football needle pump part (as thin as possible), then screw it onto a hand pump and gentle put some air in.
Some light grease should be applied to the needle before you put it in and do it smoothly.

You'll know quickly if they are nackerd ;)

Where do you live, someone here may live locally and be able to help you out.

he area the bike was stored in wasn't great on the rubber at the top of the socks or the original grips (tyres are fine though)
Are you saying the 'boots' (rippled black plastic/rubber things) are shot and brittle. Lift the edge up at the bottom and see if you have or have not got the black wipes on (some MAG21's didn't come with them).
If it has then take the boots off and see if someone else has them.

BTW pictures are easier on the guessing what to do ;)

Sorry bit of a typo on my part, the Mags didn't have concertina type boots to cover the chrome, the area with the the problem is the rubber seals at the top of the slider. The rubber is rippling and has connected itself to the loop spring that holds the rubber in place. I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the dark overcast light of day of the BB, Shocks, Seat post QR and overall project view.

I would've posted some up attached to my original postbut seeing as I'm newb didn't want to push my forum luck :) (I posted my first post in the wrong sodding area so didn't start too well anyway, sorry admins)

Thanks.

If your problems are in reverse that may be the rear mech that's having problems instead of the BB.
Try reverse with the chain off. If not sticking then I'd guess it's most probably a ( easy to fix ) mech problem.

Pics to hopefilly help cure all my ills. Update: went down to a popular sports retail emporium to purchase a hyperdermic adapter, I had a 2.4mm one and the shocks take a 2mm max. Any hoo put about 30psi in each side and presto we have resistance (anyone know what PSI they should have in for the gravy range recommended by Rock Shox?). I've got a feeling that I might have Mag 20's rather than 21's could someone confirm? Here follows the pics:

Attachments

• P1000592.JPG
    P1000592.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,437
  • P1000588.JPG
    P1000588.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,437
  • P1000582.JPG
    P1000582.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • P1000605.JPG
    P1000605.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,437
Woohoo! She lives. The spining BB issue turns out to be a dirty chain (Doh!), one clean/degrease later about 2 revs in reverse (good enough for me). Had the jockey wheels/cage to bits, cone/cups to bits, cassette off and lubed everything (used Green oil, not retro is that bad form? Did use some authentic late 80's copperslip for the hubs though) Took her for a test ride jobs a goodun.

Things I could use your guys advice on:
1) Recommended pressure for the shocks
2) A good Chrome plater and or bike Painter near the East Mids?

Thanks for the advice so far folks, it helped alot.

Apologies for the modern saddle, grips but I never got on with the originals hopefully still in keeping. I might fit a modern Quill - 1 1/8" adapter for a shorter adjustable stem (the current 120mm on a 19" mid - mid frame is a bit too big for a 5'8" person) unless someone can point me in the direction of a Marin Lite 90-91 stem, about 80mm long?

Thanks again all

Attachments

• P1000575.JPG
    P1000575.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,362
That is a fine looking machine- lusted after one of those BITD.

Saddle is very important to get right (comfort is king) and I think it does not look to bad, when you are sitting on the thing no-one will see it anyway ;)

You might be advised to put a request for a swop in the wanted forum to sort out your stem issues or indeed as an alternative- 2 hrs a night on the rack might sort out your arm lenght :LOL:

Latest posts

Back