Marin Bear Valley SE

Rockstar

Retro Newbie
Hello I own early-mid 90's Bear Valley SE after getting it out of retirement I've got several routes open and I'm looking for some advice / idea of worth. The spec is:
Frame: Original 19"
Wheels: Araya rims / Exage hubs / Rockstar Tyres
Groupset: Exage 500 LX
Headset: Richey unsure of the model
Bars: Marin Lite Alu
Stem: Marin Lite
Seatpost + QR: Marin Lite
Forks: Rock Shox Mag 21's (have the original rigid forks too)
Saddle: Marin
Pedals: Might be Marin they're unbadged but they came with the bike and are retro toe strappers

So thats the spec the problem I have is that like a tool I threw out the Mag 21 inflation pump a while ago so I've got no real way of checking the seals on the shocks, the area the bike was stored in wasn't great on the rubber at the top of the socks or the original grips (tyres are fine though)

I have freedom of movement in the shocks but with no pressure I dont know if they'll hold or how long they'd last. The BB probably needs a strip downand clean, doesn't move too freely in reverse but goes all the way round and feels smooth with no clunking. There are a few scratches on the frame and most of the chrome bolts have surface rust. Original stickers are abound with minor peal on 1 maybe 2.

The plan was to get the beast back on the (off) road again but the problems with the Mag's and BB means that I dont have the correct tools to fix them.

Any advice on getting it back on the road with functioning shocks and BB as soon as I'd quite like to avoid a shop service if possible, did I ought to cut my losses and invest in a new bike? (I'm guessing I could get barred for suggesting that :)

Can post pics if that'd help.

Latest posts

Back