Marin Bear Valley 97 frame repainting FINISHED

I removed the masking today to see the result.
I think it makes good.
Now, patience, it takes a few days to dry completely before installing equipment.

Attachments

• P1240023 (Medium).JPG
    P1240023 (Medium).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 8,908
  • P1240024 (Medium).JPG
    P1240024 (Medium).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 8,908
  • P1240025 (Medium).JPG
    P1240025 (Medium).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 8,908
  • P1240026 (Medium).JPG
    P1240026 (Medium).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 8,908
Looking good so far. I'm thinking of doing something similar so have some questions. Did you use primer, and how does the hardness of hammerite compare to a professional spray job?

Hello,
I did not use primer because Hammerite can be applied directly on steel.
I also think that the work of an amateur, to spray in a spray booth craft is not comparable with the work of a professional.
But the resistance of the Hammerite is very good.
I used it a few years to repaint a portal that has withstood the storms and assaults a German Mastiff 65 kilos.
But for the bike I would see the use.

Very nice build and colour scheme! Well done for taking the time to build the spray booth first!

Do you find the Hammerite cans spray OK? Some other rattle cans tend to spit big drops.

Although sprays are not ideal for painting but with a little patience you can get a good result.
I think the Hammerite spray are similar to others but there is a difference between the satin (black, in agreement with my Rockshox Recon SL) and bright (white).
In fact, the shiny paint covers more but it tends to slide easily, so be careful with drips.
What is practical is that we need not primer and no need to sand between each layer.
It is a good alternative, I am satisfied.
I must now respect the complete drying time of 10 to 15 days.

hello all,
Here are some news of my Marin.
I started to equip it but I miss some elements.
I pasted the stickers that Gil_m sent me.
this bike has nothing to do with the original but I like it and I think it will look good on the ground.
more photos when done.

Attachments

• P2270019 (Medium).JPG
    P2270019 (Medium).JPG
    89 KB · Views: 2,635
  • P2270021 (Medium).JPG
    P2270021 (Medium).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,629
  • P2270023 (Medium).JPG
    P2270023 (Medium).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,629
  • P2270022 (Medium).JPG
    P2270022 (Medium).JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,629
Like Haggis - I'm about to do a similar thing to a BV, 1992 this time. Was going for black forks, white frame but keep changing my mind - all black would be easier as it's not stripped to bare metal. Planning to try smooth Hammerite too, at least for base coats.
Are either of you going for clear lacquer over the top?

I did not set clear lacquer because the paint Hammerite have special components and I fear that the varnish makes a bad reaction.
In these paintings are more resistant to external aggressions.
I am pleased that my theme provides the inspiration for future repainting.

Very impressed with the quality of the finish especially once the stickers were applied. I have a 92 Bear Valley SE which I have had since new and was looking to do something similar but have been unable to get decent replacement stickers.
Can you tell me where you got yours and if original 92 style silver are available too?

A lovely looking job, well worth the effort. The decals finish the bike off well. Can you tell me if they were the water slide type or the two layer stick on type, as I'm hoping to print my own stickers for my next renovation job.

Back