Mangizmos "Rant Of The Day"

It is technically better I agree, move the bearings further apart but the cartridge bottom bracket is pretty good, its universally available and is inexpensive. When touring outside the UK I wouldnt contemplate using anything other than a square taper cartridge because they do last well and I can get a replacement crank/ chainset or bottom bracket anywhere in the world, not so sure about the other variants and they will inevitably be more expensive and harder to come by

I've never cycled through India, nor perused their cycle boutiques. I'd wager that carrying a spare BB & tools is a healthier option, unless you're only planning on cycling through their more developed areas? Warning, it's a big place! Lots of countryside!1!

Sorry mate I've run them, broken them and found them fragile and creaky.

No need to apologise! I've broken lots of square taper cranks.

I've never cycled through India, nor perused their cycle boutiques. I'd wager that carrying a spare BB & tools is a healthier option, unless you're only planning on cycling through their more developed areas? Warning, it's a big place! Lots of countryside!1!

No need to apologise! I've broken lots of square taper cranks.
In truth so have I 😂

On the flipside, I've just picked up this to replace my 2015 Whyte 901 parts-bin special ebike conversion (frame broke) for 340 quid:

Given my first proper mountain bike was a Saracen Sahara costing £299 circa 1990- that is a hell of an improvement and represents amazing value for money. Plus all of my Whyte's parts will transfer over as and when needed inc (hopefully) the ebike kit.

I never lusted over the top end bikes in the past (except maybe the titanium ones) - and I don't lust over those of the present. But I've no problem with them existing. Some of the successful innovations will trickle down, the less successful ones won't - and someone's got to pay for all of the R&D.

With a lot of mountain bikes the sport has evolved far beyond what the old style bikes are capable off & the tech filters down. Especially Enduro & Downhill. I'm pleased my lad (below) is getting a 2nd bike to get him out & about while he's at Uni. A flat bar gravel Genesis Croix De Fer. Double up front & plenty of mounts on frame & forks & on his staff discount as he works part time in a bike shop.

For some of my biking 1x with clutched rear mech is preferable but for most of my cycling I'm perfectly happy with triple on a taper like yourself.

tom.jpg

With a lot of mountain bikes the sport has evolved far beyond what the old style bikes are capable off & the tech filters down. Especially Enduro & Downhill. I'm pleased my lad (below) is getting a 2nd bike to get him out & about while he's at Uni. A flat bar gravel Genesis Croix De Fer. Double up front & plenty of mounts on frame & forks & on his staff discount as he works part time in a bike shop.

For some of my biking 1x with clutched rear mech is preferable but for most of my cycling I'm perfectly happy with triple on a taper like yourself.

View attachment 722882
Awesome shot, what a loon! CDF is a nice bike, I've been tempted by the earlier non disc versions.

I love the price rant of top end bikes,
They are stupid.

Until I then realise I had a Steel framed Canadian front suspension bike with XTR and the odd tarty bit and it was valued at about £3300 back in 1992ish
There was a more expensive one in the range (two in fact, a Ti and a custom version) and other bike were also more expensive..
In todays world that is just over £9000.

So they're not far different.

£500 in the magazines was entry level into proper MTBs.
That's about £1400 now.

I love the price rant of top end bikes,
They are stupid.

Until I then realise I had a Steel framed Canadian front suspension bike with XTR and the odd tarty bit and it was valued at about £3300 back in 1992ish
There was a more expensive one in the range (two in fact, a Ti and a custom version) and other bike were also more expensive..
In todays world that is just over £9000.

So they're not far different.

£500 in the magazines was entry level into proper MTBs.
That's about £1400 now.
Inflation innit.

Back