Mangizmos "Rant Of The Day"

Brands in all manners of products have “flagship” models. These aren’t for everyone but the lower models benefit over time from the tech. S

All the points are cost related apart from the mounting points. If you are spending £10k on a bike then a small amount on changing bars/stem isn’t an issue. Most cycle shops will accommodate this. If you are buying a £10k bike you don’t want luggage , the same as buying a Supercar and worrying where the suitcases and pram is going.

Cycling is still the cheapest mid life crisis when comparing it to cars / motorbikes/ divorce / younger woman/ moving to Thailand / buying a Klein ….

The wonderful things about todays market is the amount of choice we have. This extends again to many walks of life. Some like Skegness every year whilst others like the Maldives. Your a long time dead so be thankful we live in a country/time where we have choices.

On a more direct note , how many £9k Electronic groupset / disc gravel bikes have you ridden to make a fair judgement?

Brands in all manners of products have “flagship” models. These aren’t for everyone but the lower models benefit over time from the tech. S

All the points are cost related apart from the mounting points. If you are spending £10k on a bike then a small amount on changing bars/stem isn’t an issue. Most cycle shops will accommodate this. If you are buying a £10k bike you don’t want luggage , the same as buying a Supercar and worrying where the suitcases and pram is going.

Cycling is still the cheapest mid life crisis when comparing it to cars / motorbikes/ divorce / younger woman/ moving to Thailand / buying a Klein ….

The wonderful things about todays market is the amount of choice we have. This extends again to many walks of life. Some like Skegness every year whilst others like the Maldives. Your a long time dead so be thankful we live in a country/time where we have choices.

On a more direct note , how many £9k Electronic groupset / disc gravel bikes have you ridden to make a fair judgement?

That's far too balanced of an opinion ;)

(And of course hits the nail on the head)

Having read you rant and digested it...2 things.

1. welcome to retrobike...you will fit right in.

2. £9K will buy pretty much any bit of old skool exotica you wish.....i dont even bother going into " modern" bike shops anymore...there's no point...there is nothing that even mildly interests me. Why not buy a handmade used frame, the best parts you ever dreamed of from the back catalogue and have exactly what you want off the bat....its what I do. Or even better go see @August Bicycles or one of the countries other frame builders and get one made...say £2.5k frame and forks....that leaves you £6.5k for the other bits..

Im dribbling just thinking about it.

Having read you rant and digested it...2 things.

1. welcome to retrobike...you will fit right in.

2. £9K will buy pretty much any bit of old skool exotica you wish.....i dont even bother going into " modern" bike shops anymore...there's no point...there is nothing that even mildly interests me. Why not buy a handmade used frame, the best parts you ever dreamed of from the back catalogue and have exactly what you want off the bat....its what I do. Or even better go see @August Bicycles or one of the countries other frame builders and get one made...say £2.5k frame and forks....that leaves you £6.5k for the other bits..

Im dribbling just thinking about it.
My theory is that bicycles had become so good, even entry level components from the likes of Shimano are so good, low cost and robust now (we can thank the invention of the mountain bike for much of that), that manufacturers were presented with a big problem. They just couldn't make what we have much better, so there is a desperate need to convince us that we need to bin what we have, convince us that low cost 3x or 2x mechanical systems are now "out" and we need to go to single chainrings and fast wearing expensive cassettes and chains with no real advantage, also if they can lock us in to their components and remove the flexibility, make bicycles like throw away mobile phones, too expensive to repair and they are quids in. After decades of steady improvement we are now going backwards, well it wont work on me :)

Back