Making your own decals

I have a vinyl cutter but have only made stickers on white printable vinyl for indoor use.
I would like to invest in a sublimation printer for longer lasting prints on vinyl as inkjet ink doesn't cut it. However I can cut decals from coloured sheets of vinyl. I have yet to play around with this more before I make any of it available to buy. I use Silhouette Studio software for printing and cutting.

I have a vinyl cutter but have only made stickers on white printable vinyl for indoor use.
I would like to invest in a sublimation printer for longer lasting prints on vinyl as inkjet ink doesn't cut it. However I can cut decals from coloured sheets of vinyl. I have yet to play around with this more before I make any of it available to buy. I use Silhouette Studio software for printing and cutting.
What is the reason inkjet doesn’t cut it? Been speaking to someone who uses it and says it works well. Just curious as I’d probably have to buy myself something to print them off

What is the reason inkjet doesn’t cut it? Been speaking to someone who uses it and says it works well. Just curious as I’d probably have to buy myself something to print them off
It's not weather proof, it's prone to fading or smudging if exposed to the elements, unless you are using a different kind of ink. Any tips or recommendations will be appreciated, I am just speaking from my experience. I am always willing to learn something new!

It's not weather proof, it's prone to fading or smudging if exposed to the elements, unless you are using a different kind of ink. Any tips or recommendations will be appreciated, I am just speaking from my experience. I am always willing to learn something new!
Ah I see. I’m not using anything as this is all new to me so looking for advice also really.
The decals will be going under a clear coat of lacquer once painted just assumed they would be ok underneath

Ah I see. I’m not using anything as this is all new to me so looking for advice also really.
The decals will be going under a clear coat of lacquer once painted just assumed they would be ok underneath
You can take a look on the websites that sell vinyl, they usually tell you what each kind of vinyl is capable of. Sometimes they even send samples that are sometimes enough for a bicycle decal.

I have never printed stickers so I can't help you with that. Maybe @novocaine knows a little bit more.

If you are considering repaintng the frame (I don't know your opinion on that so please don't be angry 😁) you may also ask a local powder coater for help.
Here for example there is one that offers the whole package from media blasting or chemical paint removal to zinc phosphate primer, coloured lacquer, decals with preparation and subsequent clear coat for around 250€ for a frame. I think that's not bad when you consider that a set of decals is also easily around 50€. The results are amazing.

You can take a look on the websites that sell vinyl, they usually tell you what each kind of vinyl is capable of. Sometimes they even send samples that are sometimes enough for a bicycle decal.

I have never printed stickers so I can't help you with that. Maybe @novocaine knows a little bit more.

If you are considering repaintng the frame (I don't know your opinion on that so please don't be angry 😁) you may also ask a local powder coater for help.
Here for example there is one that offers the whole package from media blasting or chemical paint removal to zinc phosphate primer, coloured lacquer, decals with preparation and subsequent clear coat for around 250€ for a frame. I think that's not bad when you consider that a set of decals is also easily around 50€. The results are amazing.
Thanks again for the tip there didn’t know you could do that. Will check websites also then.

I am getting it a full respray and been looking about. Most in the UK range from £450 upwards.

Who’s the company you mentioned and where are they located? Thanks

Latest posts

Back