Maguras - What fluid to use?

skinnyboy

Senior Retro Guru
Ok I know you are supposed to use Magura Blood, but it seems a bit of a faff to import as its nigh on impossible to source locally here in Australia. Are there any alternatives the RB massive recommend? I have heard/read about people using water, cooking oil, dextron tranny fluid and all other manner of juices!

Citroën LHM is perfect for the job, it's a light mineral oil and I've used it with good results in the past. Plus you get loads for your money compared to Magura Blood.

Water also works very very well, just be careful about using it in the winter as it can freeze, but it does work well.

oooh i think i have some Citroen stuff in work stashed in the archives from a job a few years back. I've also got a few varieties of transmission oil too, might have a play with them and see which works best. Thanks for the speedy replies chaps!

Easy_Rider":1uthtjqq said:
Citroën LHM is perfect for the job, it's a light mineral oil and I've used it with good results in the past. Plus you get loads for your money compared to Magura Blood.

Water also works very very well, just be careful about using it in the winter as it can freeze, but it does work well.

Hi Easy_Rider, it's time to bleed my Maguras...and happen to chance upon this discussion....Well, I was feeling adventurous & gave it a shot and used water (yes!!!!) and it works very very well.....No winter season here so its not gonna freeze up ....Just wondering if the seals will have any issues in the long run. Oh Well.....It works real good, what the heck ...haha :D

Thats great!

As for the seals, water doesn't really attack rubber or plastic, and since there is no air in the system then any exposed metal shouldn't oxidise (rust), but I suppose you could use distilled water to be sure that there are no impurities in the water to attack anything, but that might be a little extreme. People have been using water for years though with no reported problems except for freezing.

Easy_Rider":1rdinnyg said:
Thats great!

As for the seals, water doesn't really attack rubber or plastic, and since there is no air in the system then any exposed metal shouldn't oxidise (rust), but I suppose you could use distilled water to be sure that there are no impurities in the water to attack anything, but that might be a little extreme. People have been using water for years though with no reported problems except for freezing.

Points noted ! Thank you for the wonderful tips. No need to buy overpriced 'blood' for now!!! Have a nice weekend :D

Back