Magura myths

I'll go up the attic tonight and dig out the sachs catalogue.

First post on here and feel useful already!

I've seen that very set up on a Peugeot MTB in the British bicycle museum somewhere near Tintagel castle in Cornwall. I was gobsmacked as I remember it from the magazines when an attempt to break the land speed record on a bicycle was made. It had hand made spiked tyres and a chainring the size of bin lid.
In fact I still have that magazine somewhere...

Benandemu":682g38ml said:
I've seen that very set up on a Peugeot MTB in the British bicycle museum somewhere near Tintagel castle in Cornwall. I was gobsmacked as I remember it from the magazines when an attempt to break the land speed record on a bicycle was made. It had hand made spiked tyres and a chainring the size of bin lid.
In fact I still have that magazine somewhere...

It would great to see a scan of that too :D

Ditto the earlier comment, I've had the older stlye Maguras and HS33s, used grey, black, Kool Stop and aftermarket pads and to be honest unless you are doing trials, cable brakes are better.

I have a U-brake on my bike, with modern pad compounds and V-brake pads they work a treat. Set-up and wear is a pain though. U-brakes are cooler too, though XT or XTR v-brakes are the best rim brake money can buy!

Well I use HS 33 every day on road and off. Took the U off as crap to set up. And didn't stop me.

33 are easy to maintain too.
As look what is still being sold .... 33's U dead and buried :mrgreen:

Maguras are far far better than any U brake imo, Best thing i ever did was bin off the U brake and fit the upside down Maguras on my GT, It made it such a nicer bike to ride.

DSC00088.jpg

FSR-Si":3nu625se said:
Maguras are far far better than any U brake imo, Best thing i ever did was bin off the U brake and fit the upside down Maguras on my GT, It made it such a nicer bike to ride.

Agreed, Maguras have better modulation than any U brake, as I said previously, though it all depends on whether you are able to fit them satisfactorily (or not....).

As you can see in the photo of FSR-Si's GT, the adaptors are absolutely as low as they can go on the U brake studs in order for the pads to be centred on the braking surface of the rim and I'm betting that GT has a wheel spindle/centre of brake boss dimension of less than 314mm and a centre/centre dimension of less than 92mm between the U brake studs.

So, while HS-33's may fit on a Trimble or some GT's, with nothing more than widening the slot a little, on U brake equipped Konas the slots need extending up as far as you dare (another 2mm) and also (only at the top) out towards the outside of the adaptor in a sort of "P" shape.
Plus also some material removed from where the slave cylinder contacts the bottom corner of the adaptor in order to be able to move the slave cylinder slightly further inboard.
And the results still aren't perfect, although the feel is better than the U brake......
But, set a U brake up with decent pad compound and best straddle cable length and for a rear brake there's not a lot wrong with them - getting decent modulation and "feel" is the tricky bit, they don't need a huge amount of power - it's a rear brake after all.

The problem with both HS-33's and U brakes is the amount of crap they collect.

Attached should be a scan of the lesser spotted Sachs Hydro Pull (produced in at least 1994 and 1995 I think).

Attachments

• SACHS.jpg
    SACHS.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 923
Back