Magura myths

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
Does anyone know about fitting Maguras onto a U brake mount? Has it been done, or am I imagining it?
Not that I'm doing this, but it's nice to know what your options are.

Depends on the age of the Magura's if 93 era then easy just turn them up side down. But later versions it much harder. I used a round file to get mine to fit.

Yes, as above. It works upside down on the early models, with a little opening of the mounting hole on the caliper clamp.
When the evolution mounts appeared, things got a little tighter and the new stuff won't fit at all, due to the revised brace/booster.

It also depends on the exact positioning of the U bolt mounts relative to the rim.
With a typical width rim like a Mavic 231 they won't work upside down if the mounting stud centres are more than 25mm above the centre of the braking surface or the C-C distance of the mounts is more than 92mm.

This from experience of fitting a set to my Kona Explosif - I had to modify the slots in the mounts as much as possible in order to get the slave cylinders low enough for the pads to clear the tyre, and I'm right at the limit of travel adjustabilty at the lever but I've still got more free travel than I'd like.

They do work far better than the U brake, in spite of all this hassle.

I quite like my new U brake, but it gets on my titst that as it wears it gets closer to the tyre. I don't have the attention span to check things like that, and I know it'll be the death of my tyres soon. :oops:

chris667":1erxmwr4 said:
I quite like my new U brake, but it gets on my titst that as it wears it gets closer to the tyre. I don't have the attention span to check things like that, and I know it'll be the death of my tyres soon. :oops:

Put spacers (4mm-6mm) on the brake pad mounting studs, inboard of the brake arm. If you're using V brake type pads they have both the spherical face washers (to allow alignment) and plain ones (to adjust clearance) so you should be able to play about with these to achieve what you want.

Now one other thinng.
Was there ever a Magura that just had an end of a cable instead of a lever, so you could use whatever lever you liked?
I'm sure I remember these.

Sachs did a hydraulic to cable thingy around 1994ish but it was the other way round - Sachs hydraulic lever, length of hose and remote piston with a cable output. The cable then pulled the canti straddle wire. I've got a picture in an old catalogue somewhere if needed.

mick_r":u9ewejyo said:
Sachs did a hydraulic to cable thingy around 1994ish but it was the other way round - Sachs hydraulic lever, length of hose and remote piston with a cable output. The cable then pulled the canti straddle wire. I've got a picture in an old catalogue somewhere if needed.

Lets see please. Not seen before

Back