Magura hydraulic rim brakes?

NAILTRAIL96

Senior Retro Guru
Are these any better than a good set of V's.
I have a set that need new pads but I can't help but think a good set of V's will be just as good.
Whats the collectives opinion on these?.

Maguras are easier to modulate and require less maintenance than Vees. They're more difficult to set up, but once that's done you never have to adjust them.
Also, Vees use a cable ... which usually snaps just when you need it most. No such problem with the Maguras.

As for pure braking force : A decent Vee setup will happily throw you over the handlebar, as will a set of Maguras. So pure braking power shouldn't be the reason to make the switch. Both are poweful enough.

from experience, the early ones arn't much better than v-brakes, but with an evo-2 adaptor, which isn't too retro, they are better than XT or XTR's.

love mine. have a one or a pair on every bike I ride in the cave, and the missus has a set on hers too

Thanks for the replys, I think mine must be fairly early (hs22)
They do seem to have a lot of free travel before they hit the rim, Is that normal?.

Travel increases as the pads wear. Some models have an adjusting knob on the lever, but I doubt that the 22 has that.
If you have lots of travel even with new pads, that would be an indication that they weren't set up properly.

NAILTRAIL96":15y8gfs2 said:
They do seem to have a lot of free travel before they hit the rim, Is that normal?.

Undo the mounts and move the slave cylinder towards the rim.
I haven't got V's on any of my bikes but of the bikes i have ridden with them on I find the Maguras nicer in action and not as brutal with a similar ultimate power.

Carl.

drcarlos":2ybyfoww said:
NAILTRAIL96":2ybyfoww said:

Undo the mounts and move the slave cylinder towards the rim.
I haven't got V's on any of my bikes but of the bikes i have ridden with them on I find the Maguras nicer in action and not as brutal with a similar ultimate power.

Carl.
Looks like they're as far over as they go, pads must be shot :shock:
Are these alright to use with a carbon fibre rear end?.

Back