Mag's or Judy's?

MJN":388bne87 said:
scant":388bne87 said:
what rockshox should have done was put the mag21 internals in the judy externals.

Guess they sort of did that with the SID :idea:

3yrs later..
carbon FSX judys are some of my fave looking forks ever & I rode them for a good few years.. but the internals were a step back after the mag21s.

re:

the sids I've ridden except the new ones seem more like race forks, a lot of people I know just repainted their judy sl's to look like sids cause they didn't like the perfomance of the sid. or nonperformance. I'm going to get one for my vintage ride however they are stunnin to look at!

Re: re:

captain8track":28be20eu said:
the sids I've ridden except the new ones seem more like race forks, a lot of people I know just repainted their judy sl's to look like sids cause they didn't like the perfomance of the sid. or nonperformance. I'm going to get one for my vintage ride however they are stunnin to look at!

Anyone who didn't like the performance of SIDs obviously didn't know what they were doing,SIDs(even the very first version)were infinately tuneable,you could make them plush(for that amount of travel) or make them act as a platform shock to anything inbetween.Why you would want to run a Judy instead is mystifying.
I think Rockshox went for the elastomers in the Judys because at the time its main rivals were using them and the percieved difficulty of maintaining Mag21s was loosing them sales.
Until cracking the crown last week I have been running a pair of 99 SIDs on various XC bikes for 10 years and have never had them appart,they have been faultless,flexiness exepted, which is more than can be said of any of the Mag21's or Judys that I've owned.If I can press them out of the crown OK they'll be heading onto the Fat to replace the Judy SLs!

re:

it might had something to do with the terrain in sweden and weight, and the fact that a lot of riders wanted to have the forks almost locked out and work on big impacts which blew the sid's valves...

I really like the apperance of the 98 sid, and being a lightweighter don't think I'll ever crack the crown but well, it's been a good 10 years since I rode a 98 sid...

question: is the AC measurements between the 63mm SID (late 97) and the 97 Judy SL different? someone said that the sid is higher due to the design of the crown?

my next mission is to build one fork out of my 96 sl and an 97 xc, take the crown, innerlegs from the sl and the outer legs from the xc and the elastomers which probarly are in better shape then the sl's...

Erm,I only weigh 70kgs.Anything breaks if you ride it hard/long enough,the old SIDs were on my singlespeed for the last 6months,noticed the crack after doing some double jumps :oops: maybe a bit optimistic for old stuff :D .I think the Sids were slightly longer as you say due to the sloping crown but if you press them out they can be fitted into a Judy crown.
I would say bin your Elastomers and fit coil springs and change the seals in your cartridge,this is how my Judys are run at the moment,still rubbish though!

re:

probarly does so, there's a sid on ebay with a carbon crown it looks pretty nice!

what I remember haven't opend any fork for a long time, but wasn't there springs in the judy to? can't I just take thoose springs from the other judy and squeeze them in insteed of the elastomers?

the sid is supposed to be higher, the crown is higher looked it up. That means that the old sid fits newer rides without a problem...

(wrt JUDY)
A quick look and the 1997 moved to a Type II system and had elastomer/spring dual system. So the monocoque
1995/96 had just elastomer as standard, I think (reading in the adverts) these could use the newer type II as well.
97RockShox2.jpg

re

yes that's it! the 97 has springs, and I think I might have some extra springs at home at my parents place. I know that we took 2sets of springs and took out some elastomers to make them more plush...

captain8track":10bwrlf5 said:
I acctually thought that a 43mm travel mag would be shorter AC then a 63mm judy?

How do u change travel to 80mm in an 96 SL? would be fun to know, as I have a 96SL which need more travel

mags have a long travel kit that have them sit at 2 point something in. close to judy SL.
w/ the long travel kit, mags become supple and much more active. although the flex increases as well.

purplewicked":3akvtzxy said:
captain8track":3akvtzxy said:
I acctually thought that a 43mm travel mag would be shorter AC then a 63mm judy?

How do u change travel to 80mm in an 96 SL? would be fun to know, as I have a 96SL which need more travel

mags have a long travel kit that have them sit at 2 point something in. close to judy SL.
w/ the long travel kit, mags become supple and much more active. although the flex increases as well.
You don't need the LT kit to do that (bumps it up to ~60mm), a bit of DIY will work. Need to be good at cutting tubes carfully mind.
I think they will max at 71/72mm, but you'll be wanting the SL crown or an aftermarket one to reduce the 'flex' and an aftermarket brace to stiffen the legs together if you go that far other than for a bit of fun.

Doesn't alter how supple they are. Oil and Air setup alters that, it does give you a longer spring/curve to play with and allows increased sag to be used

Latest posts

Back