Mag 21 SL Ti Renovation

Lookback

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Morning,

I recently got hold of a pair of Mag 21 SL Ti's and whilst the internals are all fine and dandy, the nice shiny gold coating on the sliders is peeling off in places. So, now i'm trying to work out what to do.

I'm not sure getting a straight re-spray on the legs will be any good, as that original coating is too shiny to be paint, and it just wont look the same.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

depends what you want them to look like.
A gold or bronze plasticoat or hammerite finish will give the sort of normal look.
or colour match them to your bike, or go wild with artistry.

pop some pics up anyway.

I was thinking about getting them looking fairly original, but to be fair, i'm open to any ideas! My original thought was to get them sorted out, and then save them for my Unicorn build.....

Here are some pics

Untitled by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

My mate bought them new back in what, 95 ish, and they've sat in his dads garage for the last 8 years or something. I bought the '94 GT Pantera off him a few months back.

take them to a good frame painter, or autobody spray guy, and see if they can match the original shiny gold. you will have a hard time finding decals though. i have seen standard mag 21 versions flotaing around ebay.

or simply leave them as-is. they look quite ok to me. period patina and all tht guff.

the original decals look okay to me. just heat them with a hair dryer & slowly peal them off. then re-apply later with some double sided tape.

Cheers.... Might just have a good go at giving them a good clean and polish. I suppose they're not in too bad condition...

Si

repro decals you can get from member Gil over here.

I'm afraid, but the nick of the coating is shouting for a respray if you want to keep the fork alive. The bare magnesium alloy of the legs can corrode like hell when left unprotected to the elements :(

Back