MacRetro chat and rides thread

It's worth it Rob. My favourites just now are my chain whip and cassette removal tool. Pretty basic stuff but for some reason I like using them. I managed without a chain whip for ages and used an old singlespeed chain that I kind of wrapped round my foot. I got bored of sore feet so splashed out a tenner. The Shimano cassette tool is great as sell as it has the big long pin down the middle to go into the axle and fits a 1/4" drive ratchet from my socket set. Lovely stuff.

Another favourite is my big rubber mallet!! I hate knocking out headsets with a steel hammer, goes against everything I've ever been taught about trating metal. Good for giving stubborn forks a big dunt on the steerer as well.

mikee":qhr2sgqr said:
my fave's the SFN instaler i made ,a joy to use

Another pic to remind us :) completely forgotten what it looks like.
I do like homemade tools and bits, in fact i thought a 'good idea' sticky for such things would also be a good idea. :D

I was thinking of a wee clamp to hold one brake piston in whilst you pump out the side without borecap access,the cap side being the easy piston to take out.For brakes such ax mono,m4 X2 etc

My wife's just back from ride on her bike. Complaining of thumping noise as she cycles along. I had a look and the sidewall on the front tyre is burst in 2 places but no exposed tube. Me, I'd have stopped to investigate as soon as I heard it, no her, blithely bimbled along on road with the potential of instant failure of tyre. :roll:

It's a Ground Control that's only 20 odd years old and it's fecked already. :shock:

old_coyote_pedaller":kyye3oyk said:
It's a Ground Control that's only 20 odd years old and it's fecked already. :shock:

Things are just no built to last these days :?

Their made by Specialized aren't they? .............................they're a bit rubbish like most of their stuff :LOL:

Yup, a Specialized.

It was on a Stumpy I built her 20 years ago, her first MTB.
The frame died of iron worm, so transferred most of bits onto some no-name alloy frame. This got a bit frayed around the edges, so I built up my old full-suspension frame for her. Think it's a Ballistic Exocet (URT), that I'd bought years ago in a MTB shop (Mountain Madness?) in corner of the Grassmarket in Edinburgh.

The tyre's done well but my wife doesn't exactly stress her bike or it's bits. :roll:

RobMac":3cqyuncg said:
old_coyote_pedaller":3cqyuncg said:

Things are just no built to last these days :?

Their made by Specialized aren't they? ...................................... Give it a minute GT Boy will be along bumpin his gums :LOL:

git it up ye :LOL:

Back