MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Hi all
Sure you've seen reports here and there but Forth Fat was a good one again this year.
Macretro was there with myself, Brian and I am sure Jason is from restrobike. We also had one of the retrobike crew from the north east riding his moonlander, as well as Gil and several others whose names I forget at the moment :( . There was 53 fatbikes on Saturday and slightly less on the Sunday, with some people there for saturday and some just for sunday.
Great riding, socializing, meeting new people and catching up with friends. What more could you want?

Jamie

Re:

If you want to get into fat biking on an extreme budget then get down to Toys'R'Us. They have a single speed fat bike just like the USA only Walgoose Beast called a Avigo Mammoth for £200, its heavy like the beast and basic but has disc brakes unlike the Beasts single coaster brake. I'd be tempted if only for the fun of trying to upgrade it and reduce weight but alas a 17" frame is too wee for a 6'6" giant like me. :LOL:

Re:

There was a gentleman at Forth Fat, Alan, and he had bought one of the £175 ones from Go Outdoors the day before. he put it together the morning of the ride and it got through the day no worries but some things were obviously cheaply done. Before it had even been finished being put together it needed the mech hanger bent into shape as while it was upside down the tension pulled it in. The front forks were slightly offset as well.
It was also very, very heavy :shock: and this is from a steel Pugsley rider with large Marge rims.
You can certainly get your moneys worth.

Jamie

Re:

FB projects not happening, cant be bothered anymore. First buyer with £220 notes gets 18" frame, headset, bottombracket and forks plus a larry and endomorph tyre ;)

Not sure On-One can claim they made the first 24" fatbike as there are others out there and all apeared at about the same time but its still bargaintastic. The baby fatty even makes a great jump bike for adults if the you tube stuff I've seen is anything to go by.

I had assumed at that price it had cable brakes but they are hydraulic, fantastic bargain really, big enough for MrsKen too should she want a shot.

Back