Low profile headset (stack height) for a GT Lightning

aces2splash

Retro Newbie
I have a GT Lightning I'm building back up. The old suspension fork used on this frame was a Rockshock Judy XC @ 65-75mm. I'm not one to throw off the dimensions of travel however I bought a Marzocchi MXR 100mm fork.

I noticed different companies have created low-profile or reduced headsets however I don't know which headset is the lowest in stack height and that is good quality.

My goal is to lower the front end to compensate for the increased travel on the Marzocchi.

Help me out guys as I've been out of the cycling loop for the past 11 years..... Suggestions Please.....Thanks in advance. ~ Wade

aces...what's the axle to crown on the MXR 100 fork? Doubt on a theadless you'll fin much more than a mm or two difference between King, Cane Creek or anyone else's top of the line model. I don't think you'd want to be over 405 maybe 410 axle to crown max for a fork on that frame. Keep in mind it's tougher to keep the bottom race lower there's not much there to start with.

gm1230126":qi5r136y said:
aces...what's the axle to crown on the MXR 100 fork? Doubt on a theadless you'll fin much more than a mm or two difference between King, Cane Creek or anyone else's top of the line model. I don't think you'd want to be over 405 maybe 410 axle to crown max for a fork on that frame. Keep in mind it's tougher to keep the bottom race lower there's not much there to start with.

You know...I'm not too sure. However I was thinking of using the Ritchey WCS Logic headset because of its rating on MTBR.com. I was also thinking I could lower the sag level on the shock to compensate for the height in order to better fit the frame. I'll know more when the parts arrive and the bike comes together.

Back