Looking for some early Kona info

N10S

Dirt Disciple
I recently purchased what was listed as an 89 Kona Explosif. It’s a repaint so wasn’t sure if it was an 88 or an 89 and if it was an explosif or possibly a cinder cone?

I didn’t pay a great deal (other than freight!!) so not to worried either way but also thought it might be a Brodie possibly ?

68mm bb shell, 1” head tube, seat stay mounted brake, braze on rear brake cable noodle and Brodie style pump peg. Project 2 rigid fork. Came with F&R brakes, headset, velocity stem and Ritchey WCS handlebar. SN is T8812 on one side of the Bb shell and 0083 on the other side. Based on that I would say it’s an 88 and I have seen a few other older Kona Explosif with a T88xx so thinking it is an explosif as well.

Interested in feedback or thoughts on this one.

Thanks !!

Attachments

• IMG_7836.jpeg
    IMG_7836.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 10
Pretty sure that was up for sale here, or linked to eBay, a whole ago.. definitely a first generation Kona

Yes it’s a pump peg brazed onto the seat stay. I read that the early frames could be optioned with different braze on accessories like the pump peg and that’s why not all frames are equipped the same.

Back