Looking for Look KG86 bike or frame

Perhaps you can look at this 55 cm KG 86 on eBay. Sometimes sellers take the wrong measurements. It can be a 56. Or even a 57. I bought mine as a "22 inch", which is basically 55,8 cm. It turned out to be 57 (hart BB - top tube).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Perhaps you can look at this 55 cm KG 86 on eBay. Sometimes sellers take the wrong measurements. It can be a 56. Or even a 57. I bought mine as a "22 inch", which is basically 55,8 cm. It turned out to be 57 (hart BB - top tube).
Hello there, Joriii...

I'm well aware that this is purely subjective & that I'm a very fussy person but the LOOK KG86 that you previously linked from the French eBay seller has many faults, from the fact that it's missing all of the top tube decals, as well as virtually all of the other decals - it only has the 2 x Bernard Hinault/LOOK downtube decals, as well as the LOOK head tube decal & a very ragged-looking silver square decal that's about halfway down the seat tube...also, one of my pet hates is the fact that this one has the aforementioned silver Bernard Hinault sticker upon both sides of the downtube, whereas I FAR prefer the usual KG86 downtube decal that featured the La Vie Claire company/team's 'marketing spiel' about the materials & construction methods used to create the frame itself & the La Vie Claire company & its cycling team upon the drive-side of the downtube (sometimes written in English & other times in French) & the silver Barnard Hinault decal upon only the non-drive-side of the downtube...

Also, I never liked this version of the TVT92 Carbone that featured the rear brake bridge that clamped around the seat stays of the frame, rather than the version that was simply glued within/upon the insides of the seat stays of the frame...

And finally, I'm aware that this is again purely subjective but carbon frames (especially the 'naked', or clear-coated carbon fibre frames that LOOK loved so much during the '80s & '90s - & even including my 595 Ultra from 2012, which was the last of the LOOK frames to feature a 'lugged' frame style) REALLY do require a matching carbon fibre fork to look 'right', rather than an alloy or steel fork...for one thing, as carbon fibre was so new & revolutionary at the time (& it still is, really - it's just that they're now 100% ubiquitous, amongst both pro riders & almost all amateurs as well!), because it was not only incredibly lightweight & it still managed to absorb shocks/bumps superbly, when set up correctly but it just looked amazing as well, with that stunning weave of space-age materials when it was merely covered by a clear-coat of lacquer that showed it off so well...obviously, the alloy/steel fork can quite easily be concealed if the entire frameset is painted but when you have the frame section clear-coated & showing off the carbon fibre weave & then you have a silver fork in front of that, it simply looks WRONG but hey, that's just my opinion!

And of my 14 bikes (10 from last century - a NOS LOOK KG76 & LOOK KG86 retail version, as well as a silver '86 TDF La Vie Claire KG86 painted in silver, a La Vie Claire LOOK KE75 with Reynolds 753R tubing & the red/yellow/blue sections upon the pearlescent base coat, Greg LeMond's neon yellow & clear carbon TVT92 Carbone & red/white/black Bottecchia w/ Columbus SLX tubing - both from his victorious '89 TDF with the Belgian ADR-Agrigel team, when de defeated Fignon - RIP - by a mere 8 seconds - & the two LEMOND-branded neon tricolour-painted Z Vêtements bikes with which he won the '90 TDF - another TVT Carbone HM LEMOND & a steel LEMOND w/ Columbus EL-OS tube, as well as a NOS TVT92 AL aluminium frame in Deutsche Telekom & Adidas paint scheme & finally, a Columbus AIR tube set that I'm still planning tone day build up into an exact replica of LeMond's legendary Bottecchia Kronostrada with which he won the '89 TDF by a mere 8 seconds in the final time-trial, having trailed Fignon by 50m seconds prior to the final TT that was held upon a mere 25 kilometre course!!) & a 'set' of 4 LOOKs from this century - a KG486 SL Credit Agricole Team Replica, a 595 Ultra, a 695 SR Mondrian & a 566 Origin beater bike, although it still looks like new!! So, what I am saying is that I'm VERY well acquainted with both LOOK frames from both the previous & the current century, as well as the gorgeous TVT92 Carbone frames from last century!! Forget about LOVE, the 3 'L-words' in my life are LOOK, LA VIE CLAIRE and LEMOND!!

OK, please excuse my extreme babbling, my friend! I honestly began with the sole intention of sharing my opinion about the KG86 that's presently listed for sale on eBay & my thoughts re: alloy or steel forks upon 'naked', or clear-coated carbon-fibre frames, when the silver metal forks (either plain silver or painted in whatever colour or design) just don't match the beautiful weave of fibrous material that has completely dominated such sports as cycling, tennis, Formula 1 & 500cc/MotoGP motorcycle racing since the '80s, whether it be graphite, fibreglass, kevlar or the more broadly defined 'carbon-fibre', all of which even defeated the new über-light & ultra-strong 'wonder metal' of the '80s, titanium - which is still highly desirable today for a number of select uses (but primarily for more specific, mechanical requirements, rather than for the plethora of frames & bodywork in these 4 BIG-money, MEGA-tech & MASSIVELY exposed sports!!

Well my friend, that's more than enough crazed babbling from me, eh?! PLEASE excuse this virtual novel of a reply & please also be aware of the fact that I'm certainly not trying to 'pick a fight' with my own, entirely subjective opinions re: metal forks used with 'naked' carbon fibre frames - it's ONLY my opinion, mate!!

Cheers & best wishes from sunny 'Down Under', now that we enter the final month of winter down here, thank God!!

Take care & I hope to chat about all things LOOK, La Vie Claire &/or LeMond with you in the future!! Matt Forrester.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Bonjour Manu, mon ami!

Well, seeing as though you seem to hail from Andorra (primarily French & Spanish-speaking, yes?) but you wrote your brief reply above in English & I'm Australian & primarily English-speaking (although I studied French, German & Latin for numerous years at school & can speak/write basic Spanish & Italian), I think that I'll stick with English for this reply - which was supposed to be succinct but this intro' alone is FAR more verbose than I'd initially planned for the entire reply to be, my sincere apologies for this!

Anyway, as a near-lifelong (I was 10y/o when I first saw Greg LeMond upon the TV in 1984 & just as I was instantly besotted with Boris Becker at Wimbledon, & Ayrton Senna in his Lotus F1 (one year later, in both cases) Greg LeMond NUT (my username for virtually every website for decades now has been 'looklavielemond', for example), I own 2 replicas of his bikes from the '86, '89 & '90 TDF's, as well as a stock NOS LOOK KG86 (as shown in your LOOK catalogue screenshot above) & NOS LOOK KG76, together with 4 other LOOKs from this century (KG486 SL, 595 Ultra, 695 SR Mondrian & a 566 Origin)...oh, & a NOS TVT92 AL (the aluminium version of the TVT92 Carbone) & the majority of 'Columbus AIR' frame tubes with which I'd always hoped to build LeMond's legendary 1989 'Bottecchia'-branded TT frame, with which he managed to destroy Monsieur Fignon (RIP) the first time (prior to Greg's incredible World's win a month or so later) - but as I don't own any of the lugs that would be required to fabricate it & I've never built a bicycle frame (although I did complete a four-year panel-beating apprenticeship at a Honda dealership during the mid-90s & thus I certainly know how to weld, whether it be with a MIG, TIG or oxy-acetylene welding setup), I doubt that this will ever happen, sadly...does anyone happen to own any/all of the required lugs & what's-its that I would need to build this beautiful frame while I'm here, perchance?!

Anyway anyway, back to the LOOK KG85 &/or KG86 - I had always thought that it was the KG86 & have accordingly referred to it as such, although I must acknowledge the fact that I've seen the model number KG85 used a few times in the past...& while my mind & memory for all manner of car (especially Honda's, being a '95 Honda Del Sol/CRX owner & enthusiast), motorcycle (again, especially Honda's, being an '05 REPSOL Honda CBR1000RR owner & enthusiast & previously having owned a '92 NSR250 SE replica of Mick Doohan's '94 NSR500 beast & a '95 CBR900 Fireblade) & bicycle (esp' LeMond-related frames, LOOK pedals/posts/bars/stems & all manner of Dura Ace & Mavic components from the '80s & '90s) was formerly phenomenal, a sudden attack of viral encephalitis in June of last year that left me comatose for a week & hospitalised for a month, dammit...& as a result, while much of my overall memory has returned, I've been forced to acknowledge the fact that I'll never be able to remember virtually anything from the 5 or 6 years prior to the encephalitis attack (but at least that means that I don't recall the Covid era - especially when my hometown state of Victoria was locked down for longer than ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD - cheers for that, Dan Andrews!!) & my memory of car/motorcycle/bicycle models & part numbers will NEVER be what it once was, regrettably...ah well, c'est la vie, mon ami, eh?! Oh, & if it wasn't already immediately apparent, not only has the V.E. attack stuffed up my formerly pristine memory but I'm now FAR more verbose/loquacious than I had previously been!! Sure, I was always friendly & chatty but now my inability to get to 'the point' & then go off-topic with rather irrelevant details that have little to nothing to do with the original context of the topic is rather NUTS, if you'd not happened to notice this for yourself...?!?!

Anyway anyway anyway, why does this LOOK Heritage web page refer to this frame in question (essentially the TVT92 Carbone of the time & the retail version of the silver LOOK that the La Vie Claire team rode in the mountains of the '86 TDF - together with the Reynolds 753R-tubed LOOK KE75 that was painted in that gorgeous pearlescent white & featured the red/yellow/blue decals upon each of the tubes of the main triangle - with 'LOOK Bernard Hinault' upon the blue decal on the downtube & thin black stripes at the end of each of these decals, as well as a black/yellow decal upon each our side of the fork that was reminiscent of safety signs &/or Manchester's legendary Haçienda nightclub from the '80s & '90s, that was part-owned by New Order & Factory Records...& then they also rode a typically sexy TT frame as well but I've already written a freaking novel about their steel 753R frame, so how about I try to be a little more succinct from here on in, eh?!

So, why does this LOOK Heritage site below refer to this frame as the LOOK KG 86 beneath the '1986' section of the site, my friend?

Merci beaucoup de l'Australie pour votre temps, mon ami...Matt Forrester.

PS. I'm too lazy to even bother to check 'Google Translate' in order to ensure that my French sentence above is actually correct...so I simply hope that it is/was & if it's not, then it's not due to a lack of respect but rather, as I stated previously, northing more or less than sheer, pure, magnificent laziness, aka not "giving a monkey's"!!
Phew...!

Okay @lavielemond , after 3 times mentioning that you don't like aluminium forks it's clear to me, despite you making excuses about your "extreme babbling" and your "subjective opinions"; that it isn't of any help. Enjoy your perfect collection of bikes. I was just trying to help the topic starter.

Back